Healing

Chapter 6 – Healing – Faeryn's POV

I woke up with a groan.

"You're awake." Mama sat on the chair facing my bed. She had spoken softly, but in my hungover stupor, the sound amplified like a small army of cats were singing the songs of their people with abandon, in my head.

"Shhh..." I pleaded thickly. Oh, my tongue felt twice its normal size in my desert parched mouth.

She handed me aspirin and a bottle of water. "Take these. I'll come back in a few hours when you are feeling better." She walked out of my room, and I cringed. The disappointment had been evident in her voice.

I tossed the pills into my throat and gulped down the entire bottle of water, before rolling over and drifting back to sleep.

.........

As I came to awareness a few hours later, my internal clock was confused. I had no idea what time of day it was. Or hell, even what day of the week it was.

Ugh...How much did I drink last night??

I rolled to my side and pushed myself into a sitting position. When my eyes focused, I was instantly awake, adrenaline pushing hard through my system as I came face-to-face with Mama's pensive expression. She stared at me silently and then said, "Gwion carried you in last night. Needless to say, it was not the ending to the evening I had expected."

I cringed and asked to a little pitifully, "Why didn't you tell me I could get drunk?"

Her mouth formed a hard line. "Honestly, I did not know if it were possible or not. However, I certainly did not anticipate needing to warn you to drink in moderation. What were you thinking??"

My mind scrolled through the events of last night. I murmured, "Gwion explained that he orchestrated our evening to get me to stop thinking and just feel. He said it was necessary for me to tap into my gifts for the first time." I left out the arousal part, but felt a blush rise to my cheeks as I remembered our intimate contact.

Mama's eyes widened when she sensed my embarrassment, and then flashed as she hissed, "Did he touch you?!"

"What?! Yes...I mean, no!" I rushed to explain. Even though Gwion had been clearly aroused and provoked me into responding to him, he still felt impeccably restrained last night. All of his touches were provocative, my thigh, my hip and dangerously close to my breast, but he never tried to touch any actual intimate parts of me. Hell, he never even kissed me. It wasn't like I hadn't given him ample opportunity when I clung to his chest like a spider monkey, groping every inch of him.

I shivered at the memory of how he felt in my hand.

I shook my head to clear it. Mama was waiting for an answer.

"We danced, but that was all he did," I explained and bit my lip. It wasn't all I had done, but I had no intention of sharing that little detail.

Mama hesitated and asked softly, "Did it work?"

Excitement tumbled out of me. My eyes were bright as I explained the illusion I had created. Her features softened. I knew she was happy for me. We talked for a few minutes longer and then she said, "Obviously, you missed your earlier classes. But Gwion asked me to send you to the main house when you awoke, so that you could continue your training. I trust you will not need to be carried in this evening."

"No, Mama," I promised obediently.

She nodded and left me to get ready. Nerves fluttered up in my belly. I had no idea how I was going to face him.