Mon Pixie

Chapter 10 – Mon Pixie

Faeryn

"Oh no, Mon Pixie, they are not ready yet!" Miry admonished me with a twinkle in her eye as she swatted my hand away.

"But they look too good to wait...Just ooonnneeee little taste?" I whined in a singsong voice, giving Miryam my best sad face to try to sway her.

Apparently, she knew me too well because she just, "Humph'ed," and continued drizzling caramel over a perfectly delectable tray of French pastry Puits d 'amours.

My mouth watered as I gazed longingly at the little 'wells of love', puff pastries filled with cool and satisfyingly rich vanilla bean cream, definitely one of my top ten favorite sweets.

"So impatient, Mon Pixie..." Miry clucked as she finished and scooped one from the tray, placing it in front of me.

I think I might have squealed in delight, but wasn't sure since the pastry was now completely occupying my mouth. "Thank you, Miry...I love you!!" I crooned as I licked the sweet goodness from my fingertips.

She smiled at me fondly and just shook her head at my antics. She was well used to them by now. Miryam B'eliveau had been my cook for as long as I could remember. She was a plump 'height-challenged' masterful connoisseur of French cuisine. When I was very small, I had run to find her, ecstatic to show off my new blue and green fairy wings. Mama had gotten them for me when I went through my 'flying' phase. Thankfully Mama had stopped me from testing the wings by jumping off of the roof of our cottage.

I had twirled and preened, making sure she could see them from every angle. Miry had 'Ohh'ed and Ahh'ed' and called me, 'Mon Pixie', which meant 'my pixie'. The pet name stuck and I couldn't remember the last time she had used my formal name. It was perfectly okay with me though. I loved her dearly as though she were my second mother. Frequently, Catelyn and I found our way into the expansive kitchen and chatted with Miry for hours while she cooked.

Catelyn was also licking caramel from her fingertips as she finished her pastry but right now, her mouth was slanted down in a frown.

"Are you thinking about Jac?" I guessed softly. Jac was the vampire she'd had a crush on for over a year, but he didn't seem to be aware that she existed, which was surprising given her honey colored long hair, round face and large expressive sable brown eyes.

She sighed heavily and admitted, "Yes...I'm just not sure what I need to do to get his attention. Maybe something shocking," she contemplated.

I grinned. For Catelyn, that could mean anything, and of course, I would be right there with her, encouraging her on. Mama hadn't been thrilled at the many times Catelyn and I found our way into quite varied trouble or another.

Catelyn diverted my attention away from her by asking, "What about you and Gwion?"

I was surprised to see Miry frown at the question.

"There is nothing between Gwion and me," I replied simply. It had been two weeks since I healed the little girl, and thankfully all of the weirdness of that night was gone. We had finally settled into a proper student/teacher relationship.

Once I had experienced the jolt and vibration at the club necessary to create an illusion, I had been able to conjure it at will since. Gwion and I had spent many hours practicing, while I changed the reality around us.

I was bound and determined not to let my body respond to him so crazily, and had been doing a great job. Of course, he hadn't said anything in that damned sexy voice of his. That would be the true test. If I could withstand melting when he talked to me like that.