[35] A (Dreaded) Call to the Parents

Chapter 35, "A (Dreaded) Call to the Parents"

A very audible gulp was heard from across the table, where Tony sat. His tanned face paled instantly like he saw a ghost. I knew what he was thinking, that the only ghost he would be seeing is his own.

"M-my p-p-parents?" Tony asked in a high-pitched voice, "A-are you sure that's a great idea?"

Nish nodded, not realizing his sudden change of mood. "I feel like they deserve to know where she is. I've been trying to explain to her exactly what you guys were saying. She should've explained her situation, explained why she left opposed to the decision she made."

"What was her reasoning for leaving?" I asked, narrowing my eyes at Nish. I feel as though the answer was obvious, and I knew I knew why deep down, but I wanted to hear it.

Nish instantly became clearly uncomfortable. " I think this is something you should talk to her about..."

"Yeah I mean we didn't just try that or anything" I shot back, crossing my arms over my chest. Nish's eyes narrowed at my sarcastic tone, but she remained cool and collected.

"I'm sorry I don't feel like I should-"

"Okay..." Kalissa interjected. "I know you know they aren't stupid Nish. I can tell by the look on Mandy's face that she already might know why Maya left, and she is just waiting for it to be confirmed before she wants to make any assumptions. Tony...I don't know if he has any clue but I mean when does he ever. As a third party looking in, I can clearly tell what's going on here. You and Maya are together, as a couple...."

The table went silent as the four of us stared at Kalissa. Tony's jaw was gaped open. Justin looked a mix of embarrassment and pride for Kalissa. Nish looked a little embarrassed and I'm sure I looked shocked, but I feel as though my astonishment was more towards the accuracy of her prediction with mine.

Nish looked down at the table, but remained silent, which basically confirmed what Kali said. Kali took Nish's silence as a cue to continue.

"She may have felt embarrassed or was scared of telling her family this so she decided to run away and be with you...Am I correct?"

Nish remained still for a few moments but eventually nodded slowly. Tony's jaw dropped impossibly farther. You could see a tint of pink touch Nish's mocha cheeks, but she looked up at Kalissa and nodded again.

"Yeah..." she said quietly. "That's why"

Kalissa leaned back in her chair with a slight look of satisfaction on her face. "Am I good or am I good?" she beamed, turning to Justin. He simply shook his head and sighed.

"Wait...." Tony began, shaking his head. "Maya...you...you guys are together?"

She nodded, "yeah, like you and Mandy."

I felt my cheeks heat up and turned to Tony, who finally snapped out of it to answer, "No we're not together Nish...don't try and change the subject." As much as that comment hurt, I agreed.

Nish sighed and apologized. "Yeah we are together. We've been together for a while, we met a long time ago when I came to New Jersey for a vacation with my parents. We became friends through that and have always talked. Last year Maya told me she thought of me as more than a friend, and she knew how I felt towards her because I told her basically when I first met her. Just a couple months ago she decided she wanted to go to school around here so we could be together, but she felt as though your parents wouldn't approve."

"So she just waited until no one was home to just pack up and leave?" Tony asked. His jaw clenched and I could tell he was becoming upset. To make matters worse, Nish just nodded.