Chapter Seven

The awkward silence continued until the vibration of my phone stopped. My mind was racing trying to think of something to say, anything that would at least explain something so that Benedict wouldn’t hate me, wouldn’t think that I was disgusting or useless but at the moment I had nothing.

Benedict stood up from the sofa and walked over to the window, his back to me, and I sat still for a moment watching as the light raindrops hit the window and slowly trailed down the pane. I wanted him to turn around, to scoop me in his arms and tell me that everything was ok, or even scream at me, yell at me and tell me to leave his apartment. Anything would be better than the deafening silence that was filling the room.

“Benedict.” I said quietly, hoping that he would turn around but he remained motionless. God knows what he thinks of me right now, probably that I’m cheating on my boyfriend or something, especially since that picture of Jamie and I had appeared on my phone. Even when he’s not here Jamie manages to ruin everything, just as he has done countless times before and will do countless times again. What is Jamie going to do when he finds out about Benedict? I felt all the warmth drain from my body at the thought. Broken images flashed before me: Benedict lying in a pool of blood in a dark and dingy alleyway; him lying in a hospital bed bruises and cuts covering his shattered body; newspaper writing about the loss of one of the countries favourite actors accompanied with pictures of weeping people at the funeral. I couldn’t let Benedict get hurt. I knew what I had to do.

I stood up, sliding my blouse and jeans back on and rehooking my bra – I hadn’t even noticed he’d undone it, damn he was good. At the sound of me moving around, collecting my stuff, Benedict turned around his expression still of hurt but now also confused. “What are you doing? Where are you going?” He called as he followed me down the corridor. “You saw my phone ring didn’t you?” I said, making my voice cold and emotionless “That was my boyfriend calling so I have to go” I turned my back from him, regaining control as I swallowed the lump that was forming in my throat.

“Your boyfriend?” He said, I couldn’t bring myself to look into his eyes, so I focused on a spot just above his head. He sounded so upset and it was killing me inside that it was my fault that he was feeling this way.

“Yes my boyfriend.” I said picking at my finger nails making myself look bored “Well this was fun and all but that’s all it was wasn’t it, fun. You can’t seriously think that I had feelings for you. I mean come on you’re the famous actor when I saw you I couldn’t resist.” I saw his jaw lock and unlock repeatedly and his hands balled up into tight fists at his sides. I wondered how many people had used him because of who he was. My heart dropped even lower and I felt even worse that I already did.

“So everything that you said, everything that we did, was just a… a game to you? Something to pass the time?” his voice was now emotionless too, but his face was of disgust as he looked down at me. That hurt, I knew that I would never forget that look on his face.

“Oh come on don’t look so upset, everything comes to an end doesn’t it. I was a bit disappointed that I didn’t find out how Sherlock survived but oh well, perhaps ill go and find Mark or Steven and… persuade them to tell me”

The sound of his fist connecting with the wall echoed through the flat, but I didn’t even flinch. Self loathing swarmed through my body and I felt sick rising in my stomach. I turned at left the apartment before the tears in my eyes would give me away.

I ran all the way down the stairs and into a cab before I let the water cascade down my cheeks, once they started they just didn’t seem to stop. All I could see was Benedict’s face, the look of revulsion and hatred on his face, the bloody mess of his knuckles and his striking eyes that I would never have the privilege of seeing again.

The cab stopped outside my apartment and I walked slowly to the gates. “Look what the cat dragged in” a voice slurred from a dark figure sitting by the gates. “Bet you thought you were so clever, didn’t you darling, telling security not to let me in. But there’s no one here now. No one to hear you scream” Jamie said as he walked over to me forcing me back against the gate. Everything that he has ever said to me, done to me, and especially what he made me do to Benedict, all the anger he has made me feel just seemed to explode within me and I swung my fist so hard and fast that when it connected with his jaw I saw cuts on my knuckles.

He spat a mouthful of blood out on the pavement and I stared down at my hand, wincing as I straightened my fingers. I remembered the way that Benedict’s knuckles looked and the anger suddenly came over me again and I swung my fist once more.

But I wasn’t fast enough this time. He caught my hand in his own fist just before it would have hit him in the face. “I don’t think so darling, we can’t have that sort of violence here can we” and with that he twisted my wrist and my entire arm followed suit and I heard a sickening snap and my arm erupted in pain like I had never felt before. It burnt white hot and I fell to the ground, retching and clutching my arm.

“Let’s go somewhere a little more private so I can teach you a lesson” I heard him say. I tried screaming but his hand clamped over my mouth as he dragged me into an alley nearby. I tried thrashing around, to break free of his grip but it was no use. The pain in my arm was intolerable and I began to feel sleepy, I tried fighting my eyelids, I tried to stay awake as I felt his hand begin to rip at my clothing. I tried shouting out once more but his hand closed tighter around my mouth and covering my nose now.

Panic filled my body and I need oxygen fast, my eyelids began to close and I feared that if they did they would not open again. But that felt inviting right now. The more I let them close the less pain I felt. As I closed my eyes I could see his curly hair and high cheekbones. I could feel his lips against mine and the warmth of his skin. I could hear him calling my name and I was in paradise and nothing seemed to matter anymore.

(Please let me know what you think and follow me on twitter at @ourbenedictcumb ily)