Chaper Eight

Everything was white; white tables, white walls and white chairs lined the long corridor. My arms were pale and there was an eerie silvery glow on my body. I began walking down the corridor, peering in each of the doors, trying to work out where I was.

Every door was locked but I could hear a faint beeping noise, slow and irregular. I decided to follow the sound hoping that it would lead me to someone, anyone. As I turned the corner leading onto another long corridor I saw what looked like the tail of a coat whipping around the corner at the other end of the corridor.

“Hello?” I tried to call out, but no sound came, just the dull beeping noise. Curious I quickened my pace as I went down the corridor and as I turned the next corner, saw that the coat belonged to a tall man with a head of dark curls, but his back was to me. Seemingly when he realised I was approaching him he went into one of the doors and shut it fast behind him.

I began to run down the corridor and threw open the door. Confusion filled my head and it began to pound. In front of me were now a serious of 12 paths, each heading out in a different direction. I turned around on the spot, but the door had gone and instead 12 more doors mirrored the ones behind me. That’s when I heard the laughing, a deep musical chuckle filled the room and I spun on the spot, wildly trying to work out from which path it was coming from.

I chose one and began running, as hard as I could, my bare feet slapping on the white tiles and the pounding in my head worsening. I could hear the beeping noise, louder now and increasing in pace as I ran. The path opened out into a garden, wild flowers of all colours filled the grass and I could smell their sweet scents and hear the soft sounds of the birds in the bright blue sky.

“Benedict?” I asked silently. He stood facing me in front of a deep forest of trees. But something was wrong, there was a flickering quality too him and he looked almost transparent. His hair was longer than usual and fell forward over his face, his eyes sunken and dark bags circled them. He wore torn clothes which were such a contrast to his usual fitted suits.

I tentatively took a step forward my hand outstretched towards him but the second I moved he turned and took off into woods. I ran after him, trying to call his name but again no words escaped my lips. We ran further into the woods and it began to get darker. I could still hear him laughing but now the laughs were broken, disjointed and more cackle like. The birds were replaced by ravens and crows and the floor lay covered in dead flowers and broken branches.

A shiver that had nothing to do with the cold trailed down my spine as I stopped in a clearing trying to work out which way he had gone. My heart was racing painfully fast and the beeping noise was loud and fast. I heard the sound of something breaking behind me and I spun round, my eyes darting between the dark spaces behind the trees. I felt my ears prick at every sound, every shriek of a bird or rustle of an insect. My whole body was on alert.

I heard the sound again and spun back around stretching my arms out in front of me as some sort of line of defence. The light was falling now and my eyes were straining against the imposing darkness. Someone cackled behind me and I turned around to see Jamie standing in the trees his eyes menacing and dark. He seemed bigger than usual, much bigger and I could see the flare in his nostrils and flash in his eyes as he walked towards me.

I turned and ran. I ran faster than I had ever run in my life. The blood pounded around my body and I could hear it drumming in my ears. My muscles were screaming out for me to stop to give in but I kept going, dodging trees and hurdling over the branches that covered the forest floor. Sweat poured down my face and I began to feel a pressing feeling in my head, as if the sides of my skull were closing in on themselves. The corners of my vision began to go dark and I could barely see in front of me. I felt his hand land on my shoulder and he forced me to turn around and I stared up into his cold blue eyes. The beeping noise was now one continual sound, high pitched and it echoed throughout the forest. I sucked in as much air as my lungs could take and yelled, I yelled until my throat burnt raw and sore, until I felt like all the oxygen from my body had been sucked away and until it drowned out the high pitched noise. I screamed for the person I wanted the most right now. I screamed the word “Benedict”

And then my eyes were open, truly open this time, and someone was stroking my head telling me it was going to be alright. I felt many hands on my body and the annoying noise continued to come from a machine by my bed. I felt a sharp pain on my right hand and then I tried to fight the dragging sensation on my body, tried to focus on the figure leaving the room, his collar up and the tail of the coat whipping around the door. But it was no use and I was overpowered and my eyelids closed once more.