You & I Chapter Fourteen

Chris went into the kitchen to find some ice for his face, but it did nothing for the real pain he felt

Chris went into the kitchen to find some ice for his face, but it did nothing for the real pain he felt. He knew that he had fucked up royally. And the fact that he hurt Billie so deeply was going to haunt him for the rest of his life. He just wished that she would come out of the bedroom, but after about thirty minutes, he started to feel anxious. But as he walked back into the living room, his cell rang.

"Ma, now's not a good time." He answered.

"Christopher Robert Evans! What the hell is going on out there?" Lisa screamed.

He winced as his mother tore him a new one, and he hated that his family was now aware of the awful situation. He tried to clear things up, but Lisa saw right through his bullshit. She demanded that he get his act together because she raised him better than this, and she imagined that Billie was humiliated. Chris revealed that she became so upset that she broke off their engagement.

"I don't blame her. Poor girl is probably embarrassed!" Lisa said.

"Ma, I don't want to lose her. But she won't even talk to me. She's been locked up in our bedroom for..."

Suddenly the door open, and Billie emerged with a couple of suitcases. Chris immediately hung up the phone and he chased her down the hall. He understood that she was angry with him, but he didn't think it was right that she was running off without talking things out.

"So you're seriously giving up on us?" He asked.

"You honestly expect me to stay when I can't even trust you?" Billie replied.

She handed him the spare keys from her purse, but Chris refused. The two struggled for a moment before she accidentally fumbled into his arms. And for a brief moment, she saw just how scared he was of losing her.

"Bee, don't leave like this. I know I fucked up but..." He started to tear up and he said that he would do whatever it takes for her to stay because the thought of losing her was too much to bear.

"There's too much negative energy here. And staying isn't healthy for me or the..."

Billie faltered because she never got around to telling Chris about the baby. But with everything going on, telling him would only tarnish this special moment in their lives. Therefore she decided to keep things to herself for the time being. She then told him once again that she couldn't stay and she marched towards the front door. Yet he grabbed her by the shoulders, and he gave her one last lingering gaze. It was disturbing to see him so broken, but Billie knew that she couldn't remain by his side any longer.

"Just promise you'll come back to me." Chris said.

"I don't know if I can do that." Billie answered with an unsteady tone.

Her knees buckled as he pulled her close, and for a split second she considered forgiving him. And as she looked deep into his eyes, she knew that he was telling her to push past all of her anger and to listen to her heart. He then grazed the pad of his thumb across her cheek and along her chin.