Chapter 11: Fire

After a night of practically no sleep, she reasoned that Draco's actions may have been over-friendly for the circumstances, but it wasn't substantial enough evidence to discern his intentions.

Harry had owled her the next day to do research in the library, which she was sure Ron had asked him to- so she didn't have much time to talk to Draco about the kiss the following days.

Which led them to their current situation.

They were acquaintances, in a very general sense of the word, but too much time had passed to talk about the incident.

The days after were spent with Blaise during meals and in between classes, study group two times a week, and the Gryffindor common room or library. Blaise and her had grown quite close, spending most of her free time with him. Most people assumed Hermione and Blaise were together, but anyone that knew them knew the truth: She wasn't ready to date.

Not yet, at least. Blaise blamed it on the recent breakup with Ron, but the truth was much worse. She was still mulling over her three days spent with Malfoy, and more recently, the kiss.

All the past weeks led her to where she was today, spending her Saturday in Hogsmeade with her newly found friends. Blaise had become her solace in a Hogwarts without her two best friends. And Draco- well, he was there because he had nothing better to do.

Eileen was with a few unfamiliar Ravenclaws, narrowing her eyes at the group of three before entering Honeydukes. Hermione hadn't seen her at study group for the past few weeks and knew it was due to Draco's less than courtly attitude towards her. Hermione thought it was for the best, Eileen seemed like the kind of girl who knew what she wanted in a relationship, and Draco wasn't it.

"My mother needs to meet me her," Blaise said. He announced it to the both of them, but the words were meant for Draco. "Watch out for each other. I'll see you later." There was something ominous about his words. There were many hushed conversations throughout the last few weeks, but anytime she asked about the whispers they would change the subject. This time was no different, and he left almost as soon as she asked.

Which left her alone with Draco.

They hadn't been alone since he walked her to the front doors of Hogwarts, and Hermione wasn't sure if he was going to listen to Blaise and stay with her, or if he wanted to go separate ways.

"I'm not going to stand here and watch you stare at your feet all afternoon." Draco wasn't particularly looking forward to the day, but there was no way he was going to stay at Hogwarts with nothing to do. Now, he was stuck with Hermione with nothing to do. Which wasn't much better.

They began walking and Hermione instantly knew where they were headed. Once they reached the quieter streets, she noticed the homes were nearly all unchanged.

"So have the Aurors made any revelations about the attacks?" Draco asked.

"Not that I know of," she answered, sparing him a glance before focusing in on the large house they were approaching.

"Do they know if they're connected or not?"

Once they were close enough to see the house better, she felt a twinge sadness. As she took in the house, she noticed it was not the beautiful home it was in the future, but rather something one may see in a horror film.

"Actually Malfoy, come with me," Hermione said, nodding at the house in front of them. "There may be something in there." She knew there wouldn't be anything important in the house, but she wanted to see how the house looked on the inside during present day. Nearly half the shingles were missing from the roof, and the stone on the house was two shades darker from the grime that covered it. She worried what the inside would look like.