Two

The sunlight gleam overhead, casting a halo around his blond hair, his hand tightly gripping hers as he turned around to smile at her. She laughed and playfully kicked the water towards him while the waves nudged their feet. He laughed. Laughed harder. And harder. The sun kissed glow suddenly drained from her eyes, leaving her surrounded by a cold grey world. She turned back to look at the boy in front of her, he was sneering now. A wicked sneered, a sneered that sent chills down to her core. His hand continue to grip hers, tighter and tighter until the pain was so unbearable she was sure he was crushing her hands. She tried to protest and pull her hands away but he was gripping it too tight and her words of protest won't come out. The sneer turned into a menacing laugh that seemed like demons themselves shy away from. Blood slowly dripped from their laced hands until the blood seemed to start eating her hand away. She heard high shrill scream when she looked up and saw him reaching his other hand to cover her face when she realized she was the one screaming.

Her eyes abruptly opened and she took a big gasp of air in. She continued to breath heavily when she noticed that she was covered in sweat. Gia sat up and wiped the sweat from her face with her sleeve. She looked over at her clock that read seven.

She got up to take a cold shower. The water had been especially freezing since it was the dead of winter. But she didn't mind, trying to not hyperventilate occupied the majority of her mind so she couldn't think of anything else. She put on her uniform and touched the thick fabric of her khaki skirt, wishing she had on something that would protect more of her legs from the winter air. She looked that the pair of dark green socks that the school had assign for her. They were thin and wearing them make her colder as cold air would pierce through the fabric. She complained about it to Mrs. Myers and the next day she presented her with wool socks of the same design. Dark green with two golden yellow strips at the top. She held them in her hand and smiled. She quickly slipped them on along with an extra sweater vest and her dark green blazer.

She looked over herself in the mirror. She had always wanted a uniform, so she didn't have to pick an outfit every morning, which meant more time to sleep. But now sleep didn't seemed as important. And the thought of Ordern paled in contrast with the thought of her old school. One where she had friends. Friends. Her best friend. Amber. Gia's eyes teared up and dread once again washed over her like flicked the school emblem that sat on her left breast pocket.

Gia raced downstairs, the smell of bacon and pancakes greeting her. She sent out a silent thanks that Mrs. Myers wasn't experimenting anything today.

"Morning Mrs. Myers." Gia said, giving her a smile.

"Oh dear, I think we've know each well enough for you to stop calling me missus. I didn't want to say it before but it make me feel like a teacher. But you know, I've always wanted grandchildren, why don't you call me grandmother?" She said casually, focusing on flipping the bacon.

Mrs. Myers hadn't been able to have children, the one thing she wanted most in life. Her husband, Harold, had been to only family she's had ever since she married him. But when he passed away, she's been left alone in this giant mansion. Gia realized that Mrs. Myers had needed her as much as she needed Mrs. Myers.

"Sure thing, I was thinking Mrs. Myers was a mouthful to say. Can I call you gran? Grandmother seems like a mouthful too."

She let out a grandmotherly laugh, her eyes turned to Gia, they were gleaming just like they would be when she talked about Harold. "Deary, that's a wonderful idea! I've already gotten myself a grandmother nickname!" Mrs. Myers began laughing and Gia soon joined in.

Gia finished her breakfast and left for school. "Bye gran, see you later!" Mrs. Myers gave a smile so warm that Gia felt it could melt the snow that had accumulated on the streets.