1| accidental texts & dramatic phone calls

IT ALL HAPPENED so fast. One second I was texting my best friend Latika about the horrendous day I spent at the pizza shop I waitress at, and the next second my chubby little thumb is accidentally hitting SEND-ALL.

At first, I was frozen; completely horrified as I realized what I had just done. The fact that I had just sent a paragraph-long text about how my boss was a pushover to my whole contact list made my heart go into cardiac arrest, my eyes widening to the size of saucers as the replies from various friends and family started rolling in. Now, I'm known to be a clumsy, idiotic, witless person, but this was truly a first for me. I mean, my boss was on that contact list. I don't have much more to lose.

And despite my indignant feelings towards my boss, it still felt awful when he called to personally to fire me, because I did actually enjoy working at the pizzeria. Sometimes. Not really. I enjoyed the pay checks, I'll give you that. I mean, without those, I'm done for. A struggling artist in college doesn't exactly earn a lot of money, let alone enough to pay the bills without a steady job.

"Look, I'm sorry, mom. It was an accident and I'm definitely paying the price for it now, so please stop being so dramatic." I say distractedly, resting the phone between my head and my shoulder before lifting the paint brush to the canvas once again.

"Honey, I divorced your father because he cracked his knuckles in front of me. I'm the definition of dramatic." She speaks with muted authority, although the amusement is evident in her tone.

I sigh, flopping onto my bed and running a paint-stained hand through my knotted, black hair. "Well, it's not like I'm going to be living on the streets. I'll find a job somewhere."

"Sure you will," my mom chuckles through the phone.

I chuckle. "C'mon, mom. Have a little faith in me."

She sighs. "I know you, Sophie. I know how much you hate change, so, if you ever need some help —"

"Mom, I'm not a baby anymore," I argue, letting my eyes drift close as the rain continues to pour down.

"I know that. But it wouldn't hurt to just, I don't know, step out of your comfort zone a little bit?"

"Yeah, mom. I'll try." I mumble, quickly saying goodbye before hanging up the phone and flopping back onto my bed.

Comfort zone, huh?

{ don't look at me like that

{ don't look at me like that. I know I start way too many books at the same time, but I can't help it, okay? my imagination is out of control and sometimes I just have to indulge. Anyway, I'm looking forward to writing this story even if it's not anything serious. hope you guys liked the first chapter (;
Xoxoxox -mae }