Chapter 1 - The Witnesses

Chapter 1 – The Witnesses

            Hermione Granger, the number one person to be expected in the courtroom; and yes, she was there. For which, she has been to many Ministry court hearings this past month. Ever since the war has ended; Hermione has found herself in a very busy mode, expecting herself to be relaxed, she was no where close. She was returning to Hogwarts in a few days, to re-do her final year. Since she was stuck finding Horcruxes and making sure Harry stayed alive. It was wonderful.

            But now with the war over, the first thing Hermione had done was counter curse her parents, and have a reunion. They had moved back into their old house; as if she was ten years old and there had been no war. But the memories were still stained to her past forever; having the so done ‘scar’ on her forearm. No matter the spell, it was there; as if it was carved out of dark magic, withered into her skin. She shivered at the thought, the dark night her body encountered. She has now been to over six court hearings the past month; wishing for them to stop. Thankfully, this was the last: Lucius Malfoy.

            Hermione, her puffy tree bark colored hair, green eyes, and a very high confidence. She had lost weight, but is starting to gain it back. Hermione felt as if she was a new person, although, this new found confidence seemed to be different.    

            Ron came over wrapping his arms around her waist trying to comfort her; but Ron annoyed her more then he could comfort. So she just pushed his arms off her and said, “Not now Ronald.” She hadn’t even looked him in the face. She felt him pause and walk ahead of her, into the ministry building. Ronald Weasley. During the war, he had been protective and a good friend; but now it seems he was his usual self back in Hogwarts. I always had the urge to not yell at him since we were with each other. I frowned slightly, not having the mood to move my legs forward. Until Harry came up behind me putting his hand on my shoulder. I smiled.

            Harry has always been a good friend, before the war, during the war, and after the war. I only remember getting in a fight with him probably once; but I hardly remember. I sighed and started heading forward, Harry trailing behind me. The ministry has been quite empty lately, maybe because of the families trying to spend time with each other, making sure everyone in the family is safe. I wouldn’t doubt that. The three of us, the Golden Trio, all stopped at the wand checking station. “Wands please.” Ron had just gotten his checked and was heading to the elevator. So Harry and I set ours on the desk as the young man checked them. “Clear to go,” we grabbed our wands and headed off.

            When we got to the elevator, Ron again had gone ahead of us. I sighed, “Harry, I don’t know if our relationship will work out anymore. Ron has been a rude git since the battle.” Harry frowned as we stepped into the elevator, a man no longer pressing the buttons for you, but you having to do it yourself. “I don’t know maybe you just have to give him some time; he is probably still trying to deal with the loss of Fred. His funeral is tomorrow you know, remember?”  I nodded. “I remember.” But before we could close the elevator doors, a man with snow blonde hair, bright silver eyes and a pale face rushed forward breathing hard as if he was late. “Sorry,” he muttered as he squeezed through the closing doors. He slammed next to me, and leaned against his knees before looking up.

             He had seemed to finally notice me and Harry, “Oh…” His eyebrows were forced into each other. “Um, hey, what’s up guys?” I had expected Harry to reply very angrily, but he just raised an eyebrow and replied. “Going to a court hearing, guessing your going to the same one?”

Draco Malfoy looked at the floor nervously, a glint of pity flashing in his eyes. “Yeah… yeah, I guess so.” A long moment of awkward silence followed along after that. “Hey, um, guys?” Malfoy broke the silence. “I’m so sorry for being a prick during the years that I first met you. I was rude and I always thought myself better then everyone else, thinking that blood line was all that matters. But it doesn’t, I apologize to you Harry, for making fun of your parents and insulting you. Because seriously, none of my parents were any better then the way I insulted yours.” He paused. “Well, actually except my mom.”