Ways to improve the movie: Death Note, light up the new world.

(spoilers)
• don't make misa remember by returning the notebook (which was destroyed). If anything, she remembers Light, so a few shots could be her listening to the news of Kira and unexplainably reminded of Light each time.

• don't give Ls successor have a death note and shinigami. J isn't needed either. Keep it to mellow and near (honestly, genetically L doesn't appeal to me). Near as his sidekick, helping the investigation from the sidelines. Mellow would obviously be off on his own, he would probably be led to Sakura and try and hunt her down.

• don't kill of Sakura so fast. She's an interesting character. Explore it for a little bit. Have a face to face conflict with mellow with a death note in between them.

• end the story to the doctor guy. He was the first character in the movie, the audience feels betrayed that he got killed off camera. Perhaps he could be the first caught. Or, like the manga. New L could ask near to deal with this Kira while he focuses on the location of the other death notes. Near announces (as L), that's he not interested in this Kira, let him do what he wants. Realising what he's done, he might hand himself into the police, pleading his case(?). Or he might even try to team up with another Kira after being taunted.

• MIKAMI! add him. Don't add Lights kid, that's a stupid idea. For one, Light thought he was going to rule the world, he was cocky, that's why he didn't take the eyes. That's also why he wouldn't have had a plan for if he died. That's just not something he would do. Back to mikami, he was obsessed with Kira, and one of his clients handed it (a death note) to him, thinking it was a joke (the shinigami wouldn't have appeared yet). He takes it as fate and kills in the name of Kira.

• keep Neo Kira as he is (Atleast for the first half of the movie). He was the right amount of nice and creepy. His goal was a bit weird though. Let him have the death note from the start and develop into a cyberterrorist. He too, simply wants to kill L, for Kira, the god that saved him. He would be the smartest Kira. Someone that seems unstoppable.

• the detective guy... m... something. He's mediocre. Focus more on his story. But not that he's actually Kira. death note isn't about plot twists, it's about strategy and puzzles (like the locked room riddle). So forget that. Instead, focus more on how he knew chief Yagami, and how the chief died saving him. In the time they shared, he told of his son, Light that was lost to Kira. During the case, the detective guy finds out that Light was Kira. (Don't make him a death note geek).

• new L, something about him is just... off. At times, he's cool. But otherwise, he's reeeally annoying. Maybe he resents that he's Ls replacement (that's not it, he likes L.... I think... BUT LETS JUST PRETEND HE DOESNT CAUSE THAT FITS MORE). He only took the Kira case to prove he was better than L. But in the end, he needed help from everyone (near, mellow, and team?). I really don't know, I didn't understand his character at all. I get the slight evil tones... but tone it down.

• little thing.... DONT CALL HIM RYUZAKI!!
Beyond Birthday created the name Ryu Ryuzaki to taunt L. L took the name because he respected Beyond as a detective that he defeated (detective wars). Being Ls successor permits him the usage of the name: L, but it doesn't grant him permission to any other of Ls names, he doesn't have the right to use them, he didn't earn them. These names include: Ryuzaki, Eraldo Coil, Deneuve, etc.

• don't give the detective lady a back story, she doesn't need it.

• the entire ending plot, forget it. Making the other detectives act as bad guys isn't needed either. Why should they fight the task force? Their all too scared to fight Kira themselves, that's why the Task force exists.

• no, absolutely NO action scenes like the helicopter. And no chase scenes. That's not what death note is. It's suspense, drama, and detective, figuring out clues. Add clues everywhere in the film and have it add to something in the end. It doesn't have to be one big reveal. Actually, just add one clue in the entire movie, and when it's revealed, it'll shock the audience into watching it back.

• quick reminder: death note takes 40 seconds to kill, there's no instant kill. That's why it's not an action, it's SUSPENSE!
Also, misa couldn't actually die in Lights arms, so she should have simply died of a heart attack.
Also, if: 'rest in peace' is the same as 'dies quietly', then that's adorable... not likely, but Adorable.

• there's no way the big bad demon king would allow the usage of death notes like that anyway, so the whole plot is kinda... BS. Setting that aside, he still wouldn't allow a 'human' to take his throne. 

• finally, don't kill off Matsuda. If it's absolutely nessissary for tears... then add it at the very end. And make it something heroic, like, someone grabs his gun, and points it at one of the good guys, someone he barely knows, and he steps infront just in time. (Cliche but effective to a sweetheart character.) don't let him die easily.