Chapter 1

When my father the King told me that he'd promised me away to the Beast King I was terrified. Not for the reasons you might think, though. Being married to a Beast didn't scare me so much. No what scared me was the thought of what he might do to me once he learned that I didn't possess the charm and beauty that my two younger sisters are famous for. That's why the Beast had asked for one of our hands in marriage, I'm sure. The deal was that the Beast and his ferocious warriors, the Beast men, would help my father defeat his enemy from the east. But in return the Beast wanted one of the King's daughters. And my father chose me.

"I'm so sorry, Manon," my father says, his eyes pleading with me to understand. "But you know your sisters are already engaged to Princes from the west..."

"I understand," I mumble, unable to meet his eyes.

Oh yes I understand perfectly. I'm the oldest daughter, but unlike my sisters I haven't inherited my deceased mother's charm. Hence the reason why I, even though I'm the oldest, am not engaged to be married yet. I won't say I'm hideous to look at, but when compared to my extraordinarily beautiful sisters, being normal looking just doesn't cut it. And therefore I'm the one my father can best afford to lose. Not that he would ever admit that, but I know what he and everybody else thinks. By all the gods the Beast is going to be so disappointed when he meets me.

"When do I have to leave?" I ask, my voice sounding strange and hollow in my own ears.

"Tomorrow at dawn," my father answers, "the Beast King has provided a horse for you. Apparently it will know the way to the Beast King's castle."

Ah yes, the mysterious castle of the Beast King. No one knows exactly where it is since no one's ever been allowed to visit. But rumors have it that the castle is enchanted. (By all the gods what have I gotten myself into)?

I turn to look at my sisters, who both look at me with worried expressions. Perhaps they're wondering what the Beast will do to me once he learns that I'm not as beautiful as they are? My youngest sister steps forward.

"Farther, please, don't make her go," she pleads, "there has to be another way!"

My father sighs heavily. "I wish there was, darling, but our Kingdom is quickly succumbing to our eastern enemy. I need the help of the Beast King if I am to protect us all, and this is his price."

A lone teardrop slips down my sister's pale cheek; even when she's upset she's still as beautiful as ever. As I look at my sisters a cold lump of fear develops in my stomach. Will this be the last time I ever see them again, or will the Beast allow me to visit? What if he gets so angry about my appearance that he decides to end my life? But surely my father wouldn't knowingly send me into danger like this? No, he wouldn't. It's likely that my father hasn't even considered that the Beast will be that offended with my lack of beauty. The fear spreads throughout my body, threatening to paralyze me completely as I realize the danger I might be in. But I can't say anything to my family. Otherwise they'll never let me go, and I need to go, otherwise our Kingdom will perish.