Chapter 4

I've lived in the Beast's enchanted castle for a couple of weeks now. And I have to admit that I didn't think I'd like it here when I first arrived, but now I really do. I haven't seen much of the Beast men since that first night when I came to the castle. Though sometimes I've watched them practice sword fighting in the courtyard, which is a terrifying yet awe inspiring sight, and no one fights more ferociously than the Beast King.

Speaking of the Beast King, he's been the most wonderful host. He's shown me the library, which I can use anytime I wish, the stables, and he's taken me for walks in his gardens. And I'll have to admit that he's the most interesting and entertaining conversation partner I've ever had. In fact I find him to be both intelligent, kind, empathic and funny. And I find myself caring more and more deeply about him as each day passes. That's why it's becoming increasingly more difficult to refuse him when he asks me to marry him.

He still asks me every night, and every night I say no, even if it breaks my heart to do so. But I just can't see myself as the Beast's wife. The Beast is just so beautiful in his own ferocious way and he's truly a great king to his people, and he deserves a queen that's worthy of him and I just don't think that's me. I'm neither particularly smart, witty or beautiful and frankly even though it breaks my heart, I think the Beast can do better.

It's night but the full moon shines so brightly that I can't sleep. The Beast isn't here, he said he had some business to attend to, so that's why I'm alone in bed, unable to sleep. I've gotten used to sleeping next to the Beast each night, and now that he's not here I find the bed to be cold and lonely.

Finally I give up and decide to get out of bed. I'm not going to fall asleep anytime soon so I think I'll go for a walk in the Beast's gardens.

I've been walking much further into the gardens than I've been before. Suddenly I see a white wall with an iron gate in front of me. It leads into the most wonderful rose garden I've ever seen. There are roses here of every size shape and color, the sweet smell alone is intoxicating and before I know it my feet are leading me into the rose garden.

There, raised above the other roses, is one single dark red rose. It's the biggest lushest rose I've ever seen. It's so beautiful I just have to touch it.

"What do you think you're doing?"

I flinch and turn around to look at the accusing voice behind me.

It's a man. A beautiful man. He has dark, slightly wavy hair that reaches his shoulders and the most amazing dark eyes that look like they can see right through me. He has a strong square jaw and a straight aquiline nose. He's tall too, well over six feet, with strong broad shoulders, a narrow waist and powerful thighs. Somehow beautiful doesn't seem to describe him adequately enough, because he just seems to be so much more. Looking at him I've never felt more self-conscious about myself before.

As if he's sensing this, his eyes rake me from top to bottom and my nightgown has never felt so flimsy and thin before. It's like his eyes are darkening, growing more intense as he looks at me but I can't for the life of me figure out what he's thinking.

"Well?" He prompts impatiently, and it takes me a moment before I remember that he's asked me what I thought I was doing.

"I-I was only looking," I stutter.

I'm so shocked to be standing here with this handsome stranger that I can't think. And it doesn't help that he's so obviously annoyed with me.

"It looks like you were about to do more than looking," he accuses. "It looks to me like you were going to pluck it."

I shake my head. "I only wanted to touch it."

The man snickers. He might be handsome but he's also incredibly rude. And to think for a moment I felt excited to meet another human in the castle. Now I'd have preferred it if we'd never met.

"Haven't your parents ever taught you to look without touching?" He snaps.

"I'm sorry," I whisper, "I didn't mean any harm."

"Of course you didn't," he sneers, "but that doesn't mean you couldn't have done plenty of harm anyway."

"Look I said I was sorry," I snap, now losing my patience myself.

"Just get out of here," he says, looking bored. "And shouldn't you be sleeping anyway?"

I can't believe how rude he is! But since I don't have a smart comeback, I just huff and turn on my heel to leave.

Author's note:

The last part of this chapter is going to have sexual content, so if you want to read further please go find "Beast - Restricted Chapters, chapter 4" on my profile page @evamadison