Episode 5: Will you marry me?

Continuing from episode 3...

🌸

Hana's P.O.V

"Actually... All this while I've been a very bad son to mum and dad... To the point that my father did not want to look at me anymore. But I just want to make them happy at least once. My father really wanted this marriage to happen. My mum is, too. So I want to gain their confidence in me back," Jay said, and then he threw away his view towards the green hills that could be seen far away from his home balcony. Then, he turned his head to me and smiled. I admit his smile was quite astonishing. Somehow, I could symphatize with him even though I don't know his story in detail.

"So... will you marry me?"

I was startled at the phrase 'will you marry me'.

"What?"

That was a new feeling for me. It had always been indoctrinated in my mind through romance dramas on broadcasting media that a marriage proposal should always be set at a classy dinner, prepared very romantically with a set of band playing romantic instrumentals using violins and the man would kneel down asking for the woman's hand for marriage.

But now... What is this? Does he think marriage is a joke?

For a moment, I just kept silence.

I stared at him in a confused face and kept thinking about what he had said. I imagined walking hand in hand with him in the aisle and smiled at each other faces.

After a while, I came back to reality.

"Ewww. No, no. This can't be. I don't want to get married to you! Disgusting!,"

"A-am I that disgusting to you?"

Oops. I over-slipped my tongue.

Just because he is not a k-drama hero, I should not have treated him that way. But it's true that he was not my type at all. He's handsome according to my mum, but all I see was 'disgusting'.

On top of that, if I really marry him (which I hope not), can I even trust him?

Okay, Hana.. calm down.

"I, I mean. Actually... we don't really know each other so well. So... how can I trust you? If I agreed to marry you, what would I get in return?" I asked in a demanding manner.

I just could not forget the moment I was so angry at my mum and dad for setting up a marriage for me. It has already cost me a pool of tears and wars of emotions to finally obey my parents to come here. If there is a considerable benefit, maybe I would change my mind.

"You know what, Hana?" He suddenly grabbed my shoulder. I was flustered at his sudden action.

"I can't promise you stars. But I will do my best to care for you. I'll pay your alimony well, treat you like a friend, and protect you from danger. You can call me whenever you need me," he looked into my eyes deeply, but I was avoiding it.

Has he always been this bold before?

I gently took away his hands from my shoulders and played bossy girl vibe.

"And what if I still don't trust you?" I crossed my arms.

"Well... of course we can divorce if things don't go right," he gave me the same energy.

"Divorce?"

Ouch, divorce?

Hearing the word 'divorce' before actually marrying was quite painful. I gave him a skeptical stare.

"Did I say it too early? I mean, marriage is merely a contract, so... we can end it whenever things doesn't go our way,"

"Yeah, you're right,"

"Hey, think about this. You must be tired of hearing your parents nagging about marriage, right? So, use me. I don't mind a marriage without love. We can just have our own way,"

Now that he said this, it suddenly gave me a second thought. He's not wrong, though. Marriage is a marriage. Some couples do divorce. I am also sick of hearing my mum babbling about marriage. Especially if at this moment I suddenly acted up and be rebellious, I could get kicked out of the house too.

"Give me some time to think. This is not easy for me, you know?"

Damn, the way he talked was so convincing. Does he have talent in hypnotising people before? I'm not his victim, right?

It took me a long time to process this second thought. It was just so surreal to me that the guy in front of me was as calm as the millpond and very simple-minded about marriage.Because to me, marriage is a very important decision. It is like a finale round in my life where the 'success' or 'failure' is based on it. If I ever wanted to get married, I wanted it to be a sweet process, to marry someone I love and be happy from the beginning till the end of the process. If I couldn't achieve those, that means my life would become a complete failure. I just could not understand how people 'gamble' in marrying. How they're marrying somebody without nothing in mind and just letting the fate decide what is going to happen to them after that? That was why I could not accept it when my parents decided for me how and with whom I should marry.

But somehow, seeing the way he talked just now, he seemed fine. Would he be a nice guy? Maybe I should try to open my heart..? Plus, he was trying hard to win back his parents' trust. He seemed sincere.

"Jay, but... if we marry, you can't really expect anything from me. I'm afraid I can't give the same treatment you give to me,"

I'm such a bad person.

"It's okay. I mean, why should I expect anything from you? As I said, you can just use me. But, I don't need anything in return,"

Well, I think Mum was right. A marriage does not necessarily require love. At least Mum and Dad would stop blabbering to me about marriage after this. Plus, I don't even have to worry about this marriage since Jay is going to hard carry it all, and we are certainly going to divorce too since we are not loving each other.

I tried to think as simple as I could.

Just like that, I agreed to the marriage without I realised and eventually broke my own principle of not marrying forever.

"Thank you for accepting my son," Those were the words I could hear from Jay's mum as soon as I announced that I'm ready to marry his son.

🌴🌸🌴🌸🌴🌸🌴🌸

To be continued...

Next episode: ??

❗️Author's note❗️
Stay tuned... the episode is in progress...