Chapter 1

Some people say it my fault. That I let him do it. But I'm here to tell you it's not.

***

New life, new name, new school, new day. Same secret.

***

"Lyla Collins" I repeat for the hundredth time this morning.

The trick to starting a new life, is to get a new name so you can pose as someone you're not. To make new friends who know nothing about your past. To create a whole new identity for yourself to live the life you always intended, without having a dirty little secret follow you around.

The struggle with my new life, is that no matter where I go, no matter who I become, my dirty little secret will always follow me around.

***

Immediate whispers fly amongst the students as I take my first few steps inside the old brick building. To say this school was fancy was an overstatement, the gardens lining the building were as untidy and un-kept as the buildings. But they say not to judge a book by it's cover and whoever came up with that analogy certainly hit the nail on the head. The inside is impeccable, cream painted wall line the hallway, flyers and posters of all different colours cover those walls. Students buzz between lockers, sharing gossip, secrets and much more.

For the first time on my life, I feel as if I am going to fit into my new life. 4

***

"Lyla Collins," my homeroom teacher calls my name.

"Here," I reply.

I'm not one of those typical new kids who show up to their first class late. I don't like bringing attention to myself and I hate it even more when other people decide to.

A few students heads pop around in my direction, realising that there is a new girl, a new face they have never seen before. Now at their school.

I look up meeting the eyes of everyone in the room but one.

That one person has there back to me. Silently sitting there. Also trying not bring attention to himself. Trying to zone out the world in hope it will make the six hours of school progress quickly.

"Miss Collins, seeing you're a new student tell us a little about yourself," my teacher asks.

"Do I have to?" I ask.

"Yes, sorry but it's just a ritual for this class, even Nathan had to do it," He says, pointing to a kid on my right looking shyly at his work. Poor kid for being put on the spot like that.

I sigh and stand, "My name is Lyla as you already know, I'm seventeen and I like to run and photography."

After taking my seat, I notice that I now have every person's eyes on me in the room including Mr Mysterious.

***

In my belief, school is a waste of time. Most people who attend are forced to go either by their parents or a stupid law enforcing education.

As I walk into the cafeteria, I notice a spare table that no one is sitting at. With my sandwich in my hand, I head over. I don't mind sitting alone, in fact I quite enjoy it. I prefer it. It gives me time to have some time by myself, which I don't have a lot of anymore. Not many people know my back story and I like to keep it that way. I don't like people knowing who I used to be and my secrets, because that's what they all like to know.

A few eyes settle on me as I take a bite of my sandwich. Suddenly, the light around me darkens and a tall, muscular blonde haired guy stands in front of me. Gazing deeply into my eyes through his piercing blue ones. That's when I realise it's Mr Mysterious.

"Yes?" I dare to ask.

He looks at me, then to my seat and back to me.

"You're sitting at my table."

I look around the table, "Nope sorry, don't see you name anywhere."

He cracks a smirk on his perfect face of his.

"And I do believe there are five other seats at this table," I gesture to the other seats.

He shakes his head, "But that," he points to the seat I'm in, "Is my seat."

I laugh. It's not one of those pretty little giggles you hear girls do but a hearty laugh.

A smile appears on his face, as I start to grab the rest of my sandwich preparing to move.

"It's okay, you stay. I'll claim one of these other ones," He says taking a seat next to me.

It's now that I notice every single pair of eyes are on this table and our little conversation we just had.

"Don't worry about them, they just have never seen me speak to someone," Mr Mysterious whispers in my ear beside me.

I want to ask why but everyone has their own secrets.

"So Lyla," His name roles of his tongue like it's supposed to be.

"Yes?"

"What's your story?"

I blink a few times, my heart races.

"My story?"

He nods.

Where do I begin? Do I tell him? Do I make something up?

"Why should I tell you? I don't even know you," I stand my ground folding my arms over my chest.

Another smirk appears.

"Hunter Wilde, I'm eighteen and I'm an outsider. I don't fit in with anyone's group. I have one best friend Noah but as you can see the little shit is not here. New people usually think I'm popular but I'm far from it. I try to stay clear of social events but do attend the occasional party. I live with my sister and her husband and their two kids."

I blink a few more times. He just told me a snip it of his story.

"Well, Lyla?"

"Umm..." I hesitate.

I don't have to tell him the full story. I don't have to tell him my secret. I don't have to tell him my past life.

"Lyla Collins, seventeen nearly eighteen. I have lived many lives which has led me to this day. To this very moment with you, I'm sharing my story because I believe you are just like me. So here goes..."

***

A/N

Hey all, I'm back with a new story. I hope you enjoyed the first chapter. I came up with this the other night when lying in bed and my creative juices just started flowing.

I have so many ideas for this story so please follow me on this journey of better writing.

If you enjoyed this you might also enjoy my other stories, please don't hesitate to check them out as well. Hopefully at this state updates will be weekly, a few of them might be fillers due to exams and other things. So stay tuned.

Much love to all you awesome people.

Kate xx