Chapter One

"Ain't no kid of mine going to school with a bunch of niggers and that's final!" Charleston's father, Hal, yelled at the newspaper he was holding in his hand.

The news was everywhere. 

Segregated schools across the states were accused of being unconstitutional. The Supreme Court in the Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka, Kansas ruled that schools become integrated. The decision was completely unanimous and people were outraged. Black people were happy they were finally given the same opportunity to get a good education just like white people. However, they feared what would happen as soon as they stepped foot onto school property. The case also overturned the 1896 Plessy v. Ferguson case, which allowed for people of color and white people to have the same public facilities while being equal. The motto of the case was 'separate but equal'. The Brown v. Board case declared that having separate schools for black and white people were not equal at all—which it wasn't. 

"Hal, we can't take our kids out of school." Martha shook her head, pouring her husband a cup of orange juice. "We can't afford that. Our kids need all the education they can get. We want our kids to be better than us."

"I don't give a damn!" Hal raged.

Charleston, 'Charlie' for short, was the oldest kid; he was seventeen years old in high school. He went to Werner High School—which was a mixture of rich and middle class white students. Annabelle was only in the fifth grade, and she was widely influenced by her parent's views on black people. Charlie didn't necessarily stick up for black people, and he often found himself being racist when he hung out with his friends, but he didn't have anything against them. It was the way he was brought up. It was the only thing he knew; he never really thought of black people any other way. Black people never did anything to him, so he didn't have a reason to be mean to them, unless he was with his family or friends. 

"Dad, all of my friends are still gonna go to school. Why can't I?" Charlie took a big bite out of his toast.

"I said you ain't going, boy. Don't ask me again." Hal pointed a finger at his son.

Charlie left it at that because he was a bit intimidated by his father. Hal was the boss of the house, and he made it clear that no one was to cross him. If Hal said no once, then his decision was final. He was a strong-willed man who feared no one—which Charlie admired about him. Hal had a typical nine to five job. After work he would come home and smoke a cigarette out on the front porch and drink a bottle of beer. He'd ask his wife and kids how their day went. Then, he'd grab another beer. He'd even give them a story about some black person who he didn't like. That was all a part of a normal day in his life. 

Martha was a stay at home mother. She only went out when she had to buy groceries or shop for her family. She liked to sew ugly sweaters and itchy blankets. Martha also cooked breakfast and dinner everyday because that's what she was expected to do. She even went the extra mile to please her mother more than her husband. Her mother's opinion was highly important to her. If Martha was doing something wrong, then her mother would be quick to correct her. Martha's mother and father never took a liking to Hal, so she thought that's why they gave her a hard time. Charlie would never understand how she managed to please both her husband and parents at the same time.Martha did not have a backbone. His mother was a wimp, as much as he hated to admit it. She was the opposite of his father.

"All I know is I ain't going to school with no niggers." Annabelle said happily, eating her eggs. "I don't like 'em."

"That's my girl." Hal nodded his head.

"Hal, for once I don't agree with you. Now, I don't care for those niggers either, but I do care about my children's education. They are going to school today. So you both finish breakfast and get ready to take the school hound. At least they won't be on the hound with you. They have to take the public hound. And I guarantee you they won't be in the same class as you." Martha said sternly. "You take my kids out of school and I take you out of my house."

"I paid for this house, Martha. Don't forget that." Hal glared at her. "My kids ain't going to school today."

"What do you guys want?" Martha ignored her husband and asked her kids, as she sat down at the breakfast table.

"I don't wanna go today, mom." Annabelle shook her head.

"I have a test comin' up, so I kind of need to be present at school." Charlie shrugged his shoulders. "The niggers are comin' today, I'll clue you when I get home."

"You're lucky I have to get to work, boy! I don't have time to argue with you right now." Hal looked at his wristwatch and got up from his chair. He picked up his suitcase that was beside him on the floor and Martha stood up. She adjusted his tie before he walked out of the door.

"Mom, I don't wanna go to school." Annabelle said.

"Charlie, after you two eat breakfast, make sure your sister gets on the hound." Martha pointed a finger at Charlie. He's more of a mother's boy, so he cared highly of what his mother thought. He wanted to make her proud. He picked up that trait from his mother, ironically. He wasn't a wimp, though. 

"Yes, ma'am." He nodded his head. He finished up his breakfast rather quickly and stood up from the table, giving his mother a kiss. "Let's go, Annie."

"No." Annabelle shook her head.

"Annabelle Sue McCormick, you get your behind up right now and go to school. Or I will take all your records out of your room." Martha threatened.

"Fine." Annabelle rolled her eyes, standing up.

"Don't you sass me, Annie." Martha collected all the plates to put them in the sink.

"Later mom, I love you." Charlie said as he and his little sister were on their way out the door.

"I love the both of you. Have a good day at school." Martha waved.

Charlie and Annabelle walked down the block where Annabelle's bus stop was. It was a nice and sunny day. It was too bad the black kids had to join school on such a nice day. Everyone seemed to be in a bad mood; they did not want to share their school with black people.

"I don't know why mom is forcing me to go to school." Annabelle groaned. "I don't even wanna be under the same roof as those niggers."

"Hey, as long as they're no Reds." Charlie shrugged his shoulders. "The only thing dad hates worse than niggers are Reds."

"I guess so." Annabelle nodded her head. 

"Have a good day, kiddo." Charlie ruffled her hair as they saw the bus pull up.

"Stop it." Annabelle slapped his hand away.

Charlie walked away from the bus stop laughing. The little monster he'd like to call his little sister was the one person he adored. He would do anything for his little sister. He wasn't looking forward to the day she would grow up and get a boyfriend. He wasn't prepared for all that. 

He walked to his bus stop, and instantly shook hands with his best friend, Peter.

"What's up, man? Ready for today? 'Cuz I ain't. I'm going give one of 'em a knuckle sandwich if they give me problems." Peter scoffed.

"That's all my parents were talking about this morning." Charlie shook his head. "I don't wanna talk about it, buddy."

"Here comes the bus." Peter pointed to the bus.

"Here we go." Charlie sighed. He was not ready for what the day had in store for him.

•••

This is the first chapter of my new story, I hoped y'all enjoyed it. I'm trying something new and going back in time a little bit. I've done a little research to help bring the time period more alive. 

There goes a picture of Charleston at the top.

Slang from the 1950's:

•hound: the bus
•I'll clue you: I'll tell you about it
•reds: a Communist (Red Scare)
•knuckle sandwich: a punch to the face