Chapter Ten

Charlie and Peter were standing in the middle of the gymnasium with their hands on their hips, eyes scanning over every student. They were team captains, and Charlie had the first pick. He really wanted to pick Gladys first, but he decided against it—like usual. He needed to stop doing that. Clearly, the black students had to get picked too, or else they wouldn't be there.

"Let's get on with it, McCormick. We don't have all day." The gym teacher said.

Charlie picked the seemingly most athletic boy in the classroom, then it was Peter's turn. Both boys chose all white people, even the nerdy kids and overweight kids that couldn't play dodgeball if their life depended on it. The only people that were left were black people, which the gym teacher put them on a team, since neither boys made an effort to pick them.

Peter enjoyed playing dodgeball, Charlie could make that out from the sly look on his face. The game started and balls went flying everywhere. Charlie watched as Peter grabbed a ball and threw it right at Gladys' head. Gladys stood in the middle of the floor, grabbing her head with pain.

"Come on, Peter! Below the neck and down! You know the rules." Charlie yelled at him.

"I'm sorry, bad throw." Peter smirked, shrugging his shoulders. Sometimes Charlie wanted to knock that smirk right off his face; it was like his trademark, except for it was annoying.

"Gladys, do you need to sit down for a minute?" The teacher asked her.

"Yeah, can I?" Gladys walked off and sat on the bleachers.

"My stomach hurts." Charlie rubbed his stomach. "Can I sit out?"

"Fine, McCormick."

Charlie happily sat down next to Gladys and said, "my stomach didn't hurt, really. I just wanted to talk to you."

"Right-o." She nodded her head.

"Are you mad at me?" He said quietly. His happy mood seemed to dampen when Gladys didn't give him a smile.

"Why would I be mad at you?" She raised her eyebrows.

"I don't know. I thought you'd be more excited to talk to me." He shrugged his shoulders.

"Well, I did just get hit in the head wit a ball, Charlie." She looked at him like he was crazy.

"Peter knew what he was doing." Charlie glared at his best friend. "Truly, I'm sorry about Peter. He's a bit unborn at times."

"You ain't the one who need to be apologizin'." She said with an angry tone. "I'm so tired of him messin' wit me. I cain't even do nothin' about it."

Charlie could lie to her and tell her that she could stand up for herself, but he knew he'd be lying. In this town, black people had their place and white people had their place. White people could get away with harassing black people and they wouldn't get punished for it. Gladys would have more than just Peter to worry about if she ever stood up for herself. Peter was the type of guy to get his rich parents involved in everything, so he could get out of trouble within the snap of his fingers.

"Well, let me make it up to you." Charlie said and she narrowed her eyes at him. "Hear me out, I know I didn't do anything. But I still feel bad because Peter is my friend and he's done something."