Chapter Fifteen

"Thank you for walkin' me to the bus stop." Gladys smiled up at Charlie.

"No problem." Charlie smiled, while looking around the bus stop.

"What you lookin' for?" She chuckled, looking around also.

"I want to kiss you. I can't do that if someone's around." He placed a hand on her arm and trailed his fingertips down until they reached her hand. "Don't want us to get in trouble."

He interlaced their fingers and squeezed her hand, pulling her closer. He wrapped an arm around her waist and gazed at her beautiful face. She looked so pure and innocent, like this cruel world was just too much for her. And who was he to let anything bad happen to her? He felt like an absolute idiot for not sticking up for her the last time they were at the bus stop.

"I don't even deserve to be here with you right now." He whispered, closing his eyes.

"You right, you don't." She nodded her head, even though he couldn't see her.

She moved her free hand up to his face and cupped his cheek; his eyes lids fluttered open.

"I forgive you, though. Okay?" She said slowly.

"You shouldn't forgive me this fast." He frowned.

"Ion care 'bout that. I just know I like you." She smiled.

"I like you, too." His fingertips danced below her waist.

Just as Charlie was about to connect their lips, they heard a slow clapping of hands and turned toward the sound. Charlie's heart dropped when he saw Peter walking over to them with two friends behind him. He had a smug look on his face, and the two guys behind him had a disgusted look on their faces. Gladys quickly pulled away from Charlie and looked down at the ground. The bus wasn't there yet, so it wasn't like she could hop on it to get away from the group of racist, white guys. This was definitely not how Gladys expected to end her night. She could run, but they'd probably catch her.

"Well, well, well. Here I was thinking I was gonna have some fun with this Gladys with my buds." Peter smugly laughed. "Yet here you are about to kiss her."

"Peter, just stop." Charlie balled his fists up at his side.

"Or what? What are you gonna do? I'm sure your dad will be happy to hear you're plugging it up with a nigger." Peter snickered and his stupid friends copied him.

"I'm not plugging her!" Charlie spat.

"So what, you like her?" Peter raised his eyebrows in amusement.

When Charlie failed to answer his question, Peter immediately knew the answer. He walked toward the couple with a devious look on his face while his friends followed in tow. Gladys flinched when he caressed her cheek.

"Don't touch her!" Charlie said, flicking Peter's hand away.

"Boys." Peter snapped his fingers and his two friends instantly held Charlie down.

"Leave 'em alone." Gladys shook her head.

"Shut the hell up, nigger." Peter slapped He her across the face. Her cheek tingled with pain after his hand left her face, and tears formed in her eyes.