P R O L O G U E

A young man with bright blue eyes and red hair walks into the hospital. His feet carry him to the elevator and he heads to the fifteenth floor.

It's for him. I'm doing it for him. I'm doing it for pop-pop.

He can feel the weight of the book in his book bag.

"I want you to get me a book from my room," he says looking at his grandson.

The young man looks at him, "What book?"

"There's a man sitting in a chair. He has blue eyes and brown hair. The title is Him."
"Okay, I'll bring it next week when I come for another visit."

The young man watches the doors of the elevator open. He walks until he makes it to the room. A doctor stands outside.

"Mr. Evans," the balding doctor says looking at the man. "It's a good day."

The young man smiles, "Thank you." He grabs the door handle and opens the door. Cold air and the smell of Lysol fills his nose.

"Pop-Pop?"
"I'm here."

The young man enters and sees the old man in his bed. His once brown hair now gray and his blue eyes now gray. He's so small now.

"James," the old man says, "is your dad here?"

"No, Pop-Pop, he's in Brazil with mom."
"Man that bitch drags him everywhere."

James looks at his grandfather. His face turning pink as a small laugh leaves his lips, "Pop-Pop."

"Oops," the older man says, "I meant biscuit. I mean biscuit. Don't tell your dad."

James smiles and then remembers the book.

"I got the book you asked for," James says, "the one you asked for last week."

"Oh, good," he says smiling, "please, sit. Read."

James nods and walks over to the chair next to the window. He grabs the book from his book bag and sits down. The book isn't big, it has to be less than a hundred pages or a little more or something.

He opens the book and begins:

"I woke up everyday at 8:45 AM. Then I greet my dog, two minutes later. They say it's boxer, but all I know is that its name is Jax and he's my eyes.

'Morning Jax.'

I sit up in my bed and run a hand through my hair. People say it's brown, but for all I know is I need a haircut. Sam could do it, but he's out of town with his wife. Mom could do it. She always used to cut my hair growing up.

'Jax,' I say. 'Take me to the phone.'"

James looks at his grandfather and then back at the book. His face scrunches up and he sighs. "Shit, I'm going to butcher this."

"I always did, it's fine. Try your best."

"'Ok, terminat!'

Sebastian can feel the difference. His hair is cut short, but he can feel his bangs swoop down in his face. He believes his mother's small, delicate hands push them behind his ears. The scent of nail polish fills his nose.

'Ce culoare?'

'Roșu.'

She always does red. I've never seen the color before. I still remember when I could see. But I was colorblind. All I saw was black and white and soon enough I just lost my sight.

'Why do you always do red?'
'Because it reminds me of the color I wore when I found out I was going to have you.'

I sit there and nod."

James looks at his grandfather, "What's this book about?"

"Something that happened a long time ago. Just wait until the next chapter."

"Wha—"

"Just keep reading James."