Dialogue

So as an assignment, I was challenged to write a dialogue piece without stage directions (just talking, no descriptions of what's going on). Will tell you that it's a dialogue between me and my "imaginary friend" (or alter ego). And yes, it's a girl.

"Hey, Caleb?"

"Yeah?"

"Are you awake?"

"No, Jesse, I'm sleep talking."

"That's sarcasm..."

"I know, but did you need something?"

"I was just wondering why you still love me."

"What?"

"I was wondering why you..."

"I know what you said, I was just confused on why or how you are asking that."

"We don't talk as much now that you are in college and have other things on your mind, like your work and friends...and other girls."

"Jesse, you're my longest friend, we go way back, of course I still love you. You don't have to worry about that ever."

"But what will happen when you find someone else and I'm no longer in your mind?"

"When I find that other person, I will still hold you dear to my heart."

"And as you grow older? And have children? And grandchildren?"

"You'll get to see them everyday and love them as I do."

"But...but..."

"Wait, are you worried that you'll fade from my memories as new ones come along? That because you come around when I'm alone or stressed that you will cease to exist when I find someone more...tangible?"

"Well, you may?"

"Jesseri, I will never forget you. You have helped me out of so many depressions and heartaches? I know that very few know who you are, but even they could speak true about my love for you."

"But...you can't even feel me touch you."

"I can always feel your presence. When you hug me, it's a wave of warmth that flows through my body."

"And what about seeing or hearing me?"

"I see you everyday, whether you think so or not. When I'm in class and you're sitting outside, or decide to join me and sit next to me. Even when I'm alone in my room writing, you're always lying beside me giving me suggestions on some of the characters. I constantly hear you whenever there's a decision to be made. Often times, you're the one that keeps me from trouble. No matter where I am, you're always there."

"You still love me even though no one sees me as you do?"

"Yep."

"But why?"

"Because though no one sees you, you're my special friend, the one that knows me inside and out. No one will ever know my mind, or see my mind, as you do."

"So friends forever?"

"Yes."

"Thanks."

"You're welcome."

"Caleb?"

"Yes, Jess?"

"Can you scoot over? I'm almost off the bed."

"Sure, Jess."

"Caleb?"

"Yeah?"

"Can we not have the music so loud? It gives me a headache."

"Sure, turn it down however you want."

"I love you."

"And I you. Try to get some rest."

"Okay."