Clementine

Clementine 

“Clem?” 

I can’t believe this. After just barely five hours of sleep she decides that NOW would be a good time to call me? I glance at my alarm. It’s 7:13 on a Saturday morning, which makes me even angrier. What could she POSSIBLY want at this hour? 

“Clemi?” She softly pokes her head through the door as if not wanting to bother me. 

“Yes, Mother?” I groan out, but don’t move.  

“Um, could you help me with my computer?” 

I swear in my head. She seriously woke me up to fix her computer. Again? My first reaction and thought is to say “Hell no, you can live without Netflix for a few more hours,” but she’s my mother, and I still live with my parents, so all that comes is, “Sure. Just a second.” 

As my mother leaves and shuts my door back, lie on my back and stroke my curls back, thinking of him—Austin. I stayed up all night talking to him. Again. He’s been my best friend for a while, but I’ve also kinda had a crush on him since the moment we first met in a high school hallway. He’s been like a brother to me since then, so I hid it from him, but recently, I found myself thinking of him more now that we don’t see each other anymore. Well, technically he graduated during my freshman year, so I didn’t see him much anyways, but still. We were discussing life and college, as usual, last night, but I didn’t care. I just loved hearing his voice and imagined him beside me with his arms around me. I mean, not in a sexual way, just comforting. I’m pretty sure my parents don’t like me talking to him so much since I’m only 16 and he’s like 20, but doesn’t matter to me. 

As soon as I stretch, I slowly walk down my stairs towards my mother, who is sitting patiently waiting for me to approach. She holds the laptop up to me as I near her and I take it as I sit down next to her on the black, leather couch. 

“It won’t let me access the Netflix app for some reason,” my mother tries her best to explain the situation to me as I open up her Netflix app. Sure enough, the app opens, but stays on the load screen. I exit and just check for updates. While I’m downloading it, my phone vibrates in my pocket. I check it, and it’s Austin. As funny, foolish, and ridiculous as it is, I drop everything to pick it up. 

“Hello?” I try to sound sweet on the phone, forgetting my mother is still there. She clicks her tongue and shakes her head at me as she grabs the laptop back. 

“Hey, Sleeping Beauty, up so early?” 

I blush as he says that. “Yeah, my mom needed my help with her laptop.” I answer and get off the couch. “And you?” 

“I’m good, usually up by this time,” Austin responds as if shrugging off the time. “Anyways, are you free this afternoon?” 

I don’t know why, but my heart takes a leap as I try to not reflect it on my phone. “Um, I think so…or should be.” 

“Wanna go to the park?” Austin asks smoothly. 

“Um sure,” I say almost too happily, and then finish with, “I don’t see why not.” 

“Okay,” I hear Austin chuckle on the other end, “I will see you at about one I guess.” 

“See ya then,” I try not to laugh. 

He hangs up and I shoot upstairs, not even making sure my mom is secured with her computer, and almost knocking over my little sister coming out her room. First thing is first, I need a shower. The water isn’t yet warm when I strip out of my pajamas and hop in, but it’ll warm up soon. I only stay in for about ten minutes before hopping out and putting on a towel, realizing I forgot to bring in clothes to change into. Well, looks like a mad dash to my room.