Chapter Five: Seven, Not Eight

A/N: It's actually very ironic how there's a 5, 7 and an 8 but no 6. IMAGINE IF HAD PUT A SIX, OMFG IT WOULD REMIND ME OF MY MODERN DANCE CLASS: "AND FIVE SIX SEVEN EIGHT." I'm crying so hARD

Audrey stared at the pregnant woman very hardly, very sure that her eyes were boring through her already. Her arms were still spread wide, maybe awaiting a hug of some sorts? But Audrey had never met a person who actually wanted to hug her before - she usually initiated hugs between Cameron and herself (and to tell you, their hugs were so uncomfortable it wasn't realistic).

Realizing confusion, the woman dropped her arms to the sides and staggered down the steps. She then stumbled through the chairs and settled onto an identical sofa across Audrey. She winced for a moment, causing to room to go in abrupt panic before sighing in relief and patting her stomach kindly.

"Baby kicked," she said and turned to Audrey. "So, what do you think of the name Gloria?"

"I think it's a darn pretty name," said Audrey. "But-"

"I'm still standing for Madison," Lenna grunted, as-a-matter-of-factly.

"Please," Deborah snorted, "we're naming her Glitter."

"Yeah, and have the kid prance around like a unicorn."

Audrey tried to slip in a question into the quarrel, "What if-"

"How about Lily?"

"Lily sounds like someone who needs to be watered everyday. I vote for Cheyenne."

"What is up with you and states? Let's name her Virgo."

"Hey, I'm having the baby!"

"But what if the baby was a boy?" Audrey finally blurted out.

They all stared at her as if she had grown two extra noses. Lenna scrunched up her nose and snorted in a horse-like manner, turning away. Deborah bit down on her lip. The pregnant woman giggled.

"It's not going to be a boy."

"Have you checked with those fancy doohickeys people use to look into their tummy?"

"An ultrasound? No, not yet. But it's definitely not going to be a boy. Good heavens, what we will do with a boy!" she smiled brightly and introduced herself. "I'm Candace. What's your name?"

"Audrey."

"Audrey..." Candace trailed off, waiting for a surname.

She shook her head, seeing the common mistake. "Audrey, miss."

"That's it?"

"Never knew my parents, not much use for a last name anyway."

Candace leaned back on the sofa and twiddled with the hem of her maroon cardigan. "I see."

She asked her more questions, in which she had answered honestly and in such simplicity.

"We are the Livingstones, Audrey," Candace revealed, making Lenna scowl. "Didn't you read the mailbox?"

"I can't read," Audrey choked for words.

"Yes, of course, I forgot," said Candace awkwardly. "But I can see you're very good with directions."

"Thank you, miss."

A sort of warmth bubbled within her. Audrey had never been complimented in Ohio because she was the only talentless freak in that freak district. Well, she and Cameron Stainsbury. Now, she had found help. Generous hands to catch hers.

Her heart could've blown right out of her chest before two more paid of footsteps travelled down the steps and into the living room. It was a young woman with dark eyebags under her eyes and a pair of twins, walking at the same pace and the same rythm, they could've been one person.