Chapter 02

"Not again. Greer, you lazy girl, get up. You're drooling all over the desk and it's embarrassing" Said a familiar voice, just before I was violently shaken from a peaceful slumber of singing trolls and dancing grasshoppers.

"What?" I said, clearing my throat as I tried to organize my thoughts. The radiant lights blurred my vision more, too much light to focus on any one thing. "What?" I asked again confused.

"You were up all night playing video games on the internet, weren't you?"

"Video games?" I blinked. It was only then I realized I was in second period home room class. Video games. That's right. I used that readily made excuse to redirect any suspicions for why I was always dragging my feet in school every day. "Yeah." I straightened up in my chair and wiped the drool off on the back of sleeve. "Had to kill the bad guys, the zombies, and some such." God, I was horrible at this. Writing novels, not a problem. Finding impromptu excuses for any occasions, not so much.

"I hate to have to tell you this Greer, but I think you have an addiction." That coming from a girl, Stephanie Hines, who always wore pink every single day since the beginning of ninth grade. Today, she was wearing a salmon color blouse with matching shoes.

I quirked an eyebrow and gave her a thorough look over. Nothing had to be said between us, since she blushed her own shade of pink then looked away.

"She's right you know." That was Tammy Drexel, the other girl in my class that had been unfortunate enough to be assigned a seat next to me since the beginning of the school year.

If I would have counted someone as a friend these two girls would have been the closest to that description as I could get. I didn't really have a life before I started writing. And after it, I barely had anytime to sleep and do homework. "You are always sleeping in here and the black rings under your eyes make you look puffy and hideous." Yeah, if Tammy was anything, it was that she was brutally honest and up front. She never held anything back.

"You play video games?" Said another classmate, Greg, who sat two rows over and had a sudden interest in the topic. "Like Day of Defeat? Or-"

"Oh, shut up Greg. Can't you see this is an 'A' and 'B' conversation so 'C' your way out." Tammy quickly blocked as Stephanie slipped a giggle behind both of her hands. "As I was saying, you can't keep doing this. It's having some serious effects on your heath. You need sleep Greer."

"Well, you know the saying, 'Live hard and leave a good looking corpse.' Or was that leave good looking corpses?" I mumbled that last part more to myself.

"It's not funny. You're going to kill yourself with all that online playing. And another thing-" She used her finger to tick off another digit. "You're already far from a good looking corpse."

"Ouch" I replied. A little hurt now and bruised. "Please continue ole mighty know-it-all. Tell me everything." I rolled my eyes and tried to hide my hurt pride.

"She's right you know. You could use a little TLC. You would be so much prettier if you just applied a little bit of foundation and mascara on. Maybe a little blush too... And some purple eyeliner to brighten up those green eyes of yours."

"You know I don't- Wait a minute." I raised one of my hands up. "I see where you're going with this. You're trying to get me to go out with you. To go club hopping or something."

"Maybe." Stephanie said. "More like a girl's sleep over at my house though. But we're not wrong about the makeover. You could use a good eyebrow plucking on those bushy brows."

I narrowed those said bushy brows at her. "That sounds... quite painful actually." I mocked than placed my head back down on the desk and closed my eyes.