Chapter 2 - Blossoms and Threats

> Your P.O.V <

Through the help of my extensive knowledge on healing magic, The Earl did not remain incapacitated for long. I remained at his mansion and he continued to deny the accusations of his people, claiming I was not a witch, though he never claimed I was human either. Whenever we did see each other he always seemed to have a conflicting glimmer in his eyes, a look of awe and another emotion I could not identify. I also began seeing The Earl in a light I had not seen him in before, to put it in simplest form, I found myself growing fond of him despite the many times I tell myself to ignore these feelings; after all is it not normal to feel compassion towards someone who had saved your life not only once but twice?

Currently I found myself walking towards The Earl's study once more, he had requested my presence. I had no clue as to what he wanted from me, half of me was thinking he had finally decided to throw me out. I arrived at the door and rapped on it gently, waiting for The Earl's 'come in'.5

His voice sounded and I entered. As per usual the blond sat behind his desk glaring down at a parchment laying before him. The poor man never seemed to be able to catch a break, much less rest or sleep. He set aside his work and looked up to me, a smile beginning to play around his lips.

"Ah, (Y/n), please take a seat.", he gestured to the empty armchair, to the side of the room. I shuffled over to it and sat myself down, waiting for The Earl to continue. "I have asked you to come here due to a rather petty reason, but I felt it needed to be voiced," he began, folding his hands on his desk, "I would like for you to call me Arthur. There is no need to be formal whilst we are living under the same roof."

I was quite surprised by his request and nodded hesitantly, "I will, Arthur.", his name felt foreign in my mouth, but I did not deny enjoying saying his name out loud.

Arthur nodded approvingly and turned back to his stack of work, "I would also like to invite you to an outdoor meal. I know of a clearing in the forest which is beautiful at this time of year.", it was the second time that the man had surprised me.

I suppressed a grin and opted to smiling lightly, "I would be honoured to.", the reply brought an even wider smile to Arthur's face.

"Then I will come get you from your room in an hour, I only need to finish these papers.", he assured me and then sent me off to get ready.

I only had one dress to call my own and it was the one I was nearly drowned in, however Arthur had been so kind as to lend me dresses from his late mother. Although her dresses were slightly to large on me, I was able to walk around comfortably in the linen gowns. I quickly chose one appropriate for the occasion, a light blue dress that hugged my shoulders and grew wider around my hips. The fur lined, trumpet sleeves covered most of my hands and succeeded in making my arms seem longer than they were.

True to his word Arthur knocked at my door one hour later, ironically he too wore a blue apparel. We chuckled at each other, before Arthur linked his arm with mine and lead us off. He continued to pull me forward to a back entrance of the mansion and into small building in the backyard.

Despite having thought I had seen every part of Arthur's property, I did not take note of the small stables he had brought me to. I smiled widely at the lively horses inside each of the stalls, I was lead to the very back where a servant already held two steppers. A tall, black, thoroughbred was in the attendant's right hand, the stallion seemed very skittish and refused to stand still. Arthur walked up the large animal with a large grin on his face, he took the reins and patted his black neck.

He looked back at me still grinning, "This is Edmund, he's been my loyal friend for a long time.", he glanced at the horse and then back to me, "I take it you can ride?", I nodded, "Wonderful. You will be riding Patience, a rather fitting name if I do say so myself. You have nothing to worry about with her, she is a gentle beast.", Arthur gestured to the slightly smaller, dark bay mare.