Chapter 3 - A Valiant Heart

> Arthur's P.O.V <

It took me another four hours to finally complete my stack of work, it was nothing easy to run a small town under the guidance of his majesty, too many rules, taxes, debts, permits, and certificates. I sighed, leaning back in my chair and bringing a hand through my messy hair, I had given up taming the useless locks a while ago. I looked out the window, frowning faintly, the sun had begun to sink, yet (Y/n) had still not returned. Mumbling to myself I stepped up and around my desk heading towards the door, possibly she had returned to her room already.

Casually strolling down the hallways I took a moment to glance up at the multiple portraits that adorned the walls, only few were of myself, I hated keeping still for the hours it took to produce them. Something I had received from my father, there weren't many portraits of the man in his youth either, only those of his withered features. I had also inherited my blasted hair from him, he too always complained about the way some of his hairs irritated his forehead and got caught in his eyebrows. Unfortunately according my mother, I had also inherited overly large eyebrows from her, occasionally I'd catch her tugging them in a secluded bathroom, she had never been a woman proud of her looks. I shook my head brushing the memories of my parents from my mind, it was a chapter in my life I did not wish to revisit, besides it was such a long time ago...

Once I had reached the door to (Y/n)'s room I gently knocked on the wood, after all it was rude to walk into a ladies boudoir uninvited. There was no answer, I repeated my action and got the same result, furrowing my eyebrows I silently prayed my mother was not watching over me right now. I gently opened the door, muttering a quiet warning before I fully entered the room, it was empty.

"Excuse me. A letter has just arrived for you. It is from a certain Francis Bonnefoy.", I winced and turned around to find a maid staring at me blankly.

Gingerly I took the letter from her, "Thank you, you are dismissed.", I waved her off wasting no time to rip open the envelope. "That name, it can't be.", I mumbled to myself removing the small parchment and folding it open.

My eyes scanned the letter before widening, I dropped the letter and raced from the room. I replayed the words over and over in my mind as I dashed wildly towards the stables:

'Monsieur Kirkland,

I will be taking a certain little fairy from your care. We will be returning to my country soon, I have already wished her farewell on your behalf. Of course if you wish to see her one last time why not try to find me?

This is only fair, your countrymen took something from me and now I take something from you, a suitable replacement. An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.

You think so too, non, Angleterre?

With much love,

Francis Bonnefoy'

"That frog.", I seethed quickly taking Edmund from his stable and preparing him for the fastest race of his life. It did not take long for me to sling the saddle onto his back and fasten the bridle onto his head, I too slung a sword around my hips and soon without a thought I jumped on and rammed my heels into Edmund's sides. "I'm sorry my friend, but I need you to give it your all.", I whispered into the air by the stallions ears. As though he understood he released another burst of energy and galloped forward, frantically I searched my mind for the port that this frog would depart from, there was only one close enough. "We need to go faster.", I urged leaning into the motion of my horse.

It was a miracle we both had reached the port with any energy left, though Edmund was snorting heavily, I couldn't push him further. I dismounted and entrusted him with the nearest passerby before charing towards the docks. Already people were boarding a large vessel heading towards that dreaded country.