factility

“Her glasses say Lumayo ka, I don’t like people.’ but the clothes say ‘I’m going to die a virgin.’ She’s really something.”

Jade groaned. Sally was dissecting Althea Guevarra. Again. She has been their group's topic ever since Althea showed up last week  —  this was  a big deal, students don’t just arrive in the middle of junior year.

“'Yung mga ganyang mukha hindi dapat nagsusuot ng salamin e,” Paul added. He was dipping his french fries on his ice cream. “It’s like, ang ganda ganda mo but why did you steal your grandfather’s glasses?”

Sally nodded, then shook her head. “Wait, you think maganda siya?”

Jade sighed. Whoever said that you can pick your friends was lying, because if you can indeed choose your friends, she’s pretty sure she won’t let herself get stuck with these two for better and  —  more often than not  —  for worse. Don't get her wrong, her best friend and brother are good people but there are days where she just can't take their shit.

Jade looked across the cafeteria and saw Althea hunched over a book at a table in the corner. Jade wasn’t surprised that she was alone. Althea was attractive, yes, but an aloof bookworm is equivalent to a loser in this school.

————

Jade is failing English. She wasn’t dumb, but she was the president of the school council, she takes piano and voice lessons after school, and she's under the constant pressure of being a Tanchingco a.k.a. the daughter of the owner of her school and one of the richest businessmen in the Philippines. There were only so many hours in a day.

At least it's not math, she thought. Mas lalong lagot ako kay Dada if ever.

Right now, they were reading Pride and Prejudice, and while Jade could recite every dialogue in the movie, it turned out the novel was dense and Mrs. Cruz expected them to analyze themes hidden in the material of ribbons or the names of background characters or whatever.

Jade banged her head on her book. Though she loathed the idea of admitting it: Kailangan ko ng tutor.

————

She cornered her at her locker on a Wednesday before a mandatory student council meeting.

“Hello, I’m Jade Tanchingco and I need you to tutor me in English.”

Althea narrowed her eyes at her. Up close, Jade could see she was rather cute.

Ang cute ng bangs niya, Jade thought as she looked at her up and down. Ang ganda rin ng mga mata niya, despite the Woody Allen glasses hiding them...and whatever anime that is in her sweater. Jade's stomach did a funny little flip.  

“So tingin mo I’m willing to help you because?” Althea's voice was lilting, teasing, and not at all what Jade expected.

“Tingin ko tutulungan mo ako because I’m Jade Tanchingco.”

“Wow. Okay, so?”

“So, I practically own this school! Kapag nakita ka ng mga tao kasama ko, you'll lose your loner status. I'm practically doing you a favor.,” Jade snapped. She raised her chin in a defiant attempt to appear taller.

Althea breathed out a laugh. “Tingin ko mahilig ka sa teleserye,” she said around a smile.

Damn it, there’s that stomach flip again. Jade, umayos ka!

“That's not how it works. Hindi lahat ng tao maaakit ng fame mo.”

Jade was getting really frustrated, not to mention offended. She was the popular girl, Althea was the nerd, and the nerd was supposed to bend over backwards to please the popular girl. This was not proceeding according to plan.

“Just tutor me.”

Althea turned away from her and started to rearrange the stack of books in her locker. “You know, isang please lang naman ang hinihingi ko at sa'yong sa'yo na ako,” she smiled.

Jade felt heat rush to her cheeks. Huminga ka, Jade. Kanina ka pa, what's the matter with you? No, hindi siya pwedeng sumuko.

“No,” Jade huffed.

Althea closed her locker with a sigh. Jade perked up, knowing she was about to give in. “E di find someone else to help you. Or fail English. I don’t really care.”

Jade's jaw dropped. “Nagbibiro ka ba?” Althea bit her lip and shrugged. “You are—Nakaka-offend ka ah!”

In that moment, she hated Althea Guevarra with her stupid hipster glasses and her nerdy Whatever-Anime-That-Is sweater with the passion of a thousand fiery suns. They stared at each other in a twisted imitation of an Old Western stand-off. Jade hated her, but her whole body was buzzing with electricity and she couldn’t look away.

Having someone stand up to her was more intoxicating than anything she’d ever felt. She also really didn’t want to fail English.

Jade took a deep breath before letting it out slowly. “Please.”

Althea grinned at her, eyes crinkling at the corners, and the hate was shoved away by a rush of butterflies in her belly. Oh no, this was so bad. No, no, no, no!

“Okay, I’ll tutor you,” Althea said easily.

Nothing about this was going to be easy, Jade thought as she run towards the student council meeting.