falleness

The library was almost always empty, except for students napping on tables. It saddened Jade, but people like her don’t voice those kinds of thoughts.

“Ang disappointing,” Althea said as she looked at all the empty tables. Jade nodded, pleased to have someone validate her beliefs.

“We have a huge student population, there's no excuse for a lack of academic prowess.” Althea looked surprised. “You assumed I wouldn’t see the value of books because I’m a rich girl who has everything handed to her on a silver platter, don’t you?”

Althea didn’t respond. She pulled out a chair for Jade before circling to the opposite side of the table.

Jade stared at the offered chair, suspicious. Was there glue or tape on it?

Althea rolled her eyes at seeing Jade looking suspicious. “I’m being polite, Jade. Gusto mo bang dito nalang umupo?”

Althea's smirk is making her uneasy. There goes the butterflies again, she thought.

“Alam mo, nakakaasar ka,” she huffed, sitting down.

“Let’s start,” Althea started as she opens her book.

Althea's refusal to rise to Jade's taunts only made the latter try harder.  Why won’t she argue with me? “What first, Four-eyes?”

“Wow. Very original,” Althea said while shaking her head. “I think mas madali kung simulan natin sa binigay na worksheet. We’ll get through it together and then pwede mo akong tanungin.”

“Hmmmmm acceptable.”

Althea rolled her eyes. “Tingin mo I'm some kind of nerd—”

“No, I know you’re a nerd—”

“—pero ikaw yung puro 'importance of academic prowess' and—”

“Question one,” Jade said loudly, “‘What is Lizzie's primary motivation?’”

Althea smirked. Damn it, Jade thought.

—————

Jade spent the entire evening replaying their...study session in her head.

This is what she's sure of:

1-She's 85% sure she has a...small...crush on Althea.

Ten minutes into the session, Jade had realized she could listen to Althea talk for hours. She had asked Althea questions she knew the answer to just to hear her go on a little more about Lizzie or Mr. Darcy in her sweet, lilting voice.

2-She's 80% sure it's not a small crush

3-Her Dada—No, her whole family will disown her if ever she acts on this maybe-not-small crush.

At bakit, sino bang may sabi na papatulan ako ni Althea?

4-Althea played the guitar. She watched as Althea removed her glasses to rub at the bridge of her nose with her fingers. She should not be focusing on Althea's fingers.

—————

“Kailangan ko siyang kausapin. Move.” Jade watched, as Batchi scrambled out of the seat next to Noah after muttering a "Good luck, Tsong."

“Medyo bastos?” Althea said as Jade sat down.

“That’s how things work here.”

Althea snorted. Jade should not have found it charming.