5 ~ A Plan

Within the safety of the shack, a story was told.

The Pines family and Soos together told the entire tale of last summer, of how the twins came, how Dipper found the journal. They told how the twins had begun investigating the strange occurrences of the town, and made a fire allies- and enemies- in the process.

They told how Stan had found the journal Dipper found, and used it to find his lost six-fingered brother. (Sans made a few hand-related puns after that, but quickly stopped as soon as he learned that was a bit of a sore subject for Ford.)

They told how, through a number of unfortunate events, Ford's greatest enemy, Bill Cipher, was released into the town, and began Weirdmageddon. And how they had only managed to stop him by erasing him from Stan's memory, and erasing Stan's memory itself in the process.

They ended by explaining how Dipper and Mabel had returned this summer, and been out in the woods, when Frisk had randomly appeared and hit their head on that strange statue of Bill.

"It makes unfortunate sense," Ford said solemnly, "that Bill could come back. Stan's memory came back, and Bill was erased with his memory. If Stan could regain his memory, then it's only logical to assume that Bill could..." He shook his head after a moment, then looked at where Sans and Frisk were sitting. "Anyway. You've heard our story, so what about yours? How exactly did you end up... falling out of the sky, Frisk, and Sans, how in the world did you become strong enough to fight Bill?"

"... well," Sans began, "i can't exactly answer the second one. it's just something i do. i pass judgment on the megalomaniacs. it's kind of a thing. but, the first one..." He looked at Frisk. "kiddo, i think you should tell this. and, uh, i wouldn't leave out the whole bit about... y'know. just a suggestion."

Frisk nodded. Then hesitated a moment.

And slowly, they let their own story spin away to the others' ears. How hey had first fallen, made it through the Underground, and gone back to do things again.

They even, shamefaced and on the verge of tears, told about That-One-Time. They hadn't had the guts- or cowardliness- to continue through with it, of course, and had reset immediately after killing Sans, but that hardly mattered. They admitted to murder.

They made sure to explain that, by the end of it, they were hardly themself anymore, and that they had sworn to never do something like that again.

And then, they made it to the end of the story. The first time they had made it through without lashing out in frustration. How Sans had led them through a shortcut, same as always...

And then they were falling, and hit their head on something.

After finishing their story, there was a long moment of silence. Then they turned to look at Sans. "Hey, Sans?"

"hm?"

"What-... What was the offer that Bill made you?"

Sans blinked a little, his brow furrowing into a frown. He took a long time to answer. "... well. he offered to help me kill all the humans, then break the barrier. he also said no one would hurt papyrus. then i saw his lv. which is good, 'cuz i was about two seconds from shaking his hand."

"Yeah, that... That would have been bad." Ford nodded.

"what happens, anyway, when you make a deal with him?"

"It usually involves him posses--"

Mabel interrupted. "Dipper got turned into a sock puppet, while Bill took over his body! I had to tickle-torture him to get him out!"

Sans snorted a bit, while Dipper looked a little sheepish. "I didn't get turned into a sock puppet," he protested, "that was just the most convenient body available!"

"ya really got socked, though, didn'cha?"

That earned a few chuckles.

Ford quickly brought an end to the levity, though. "Regardless, we do have an issue, and a very big one at that. Last time, we used the memory gun to at least temporarily seal Bill away. We don't have the gun anymore." He looked at Sans. "So unless you can completely defeat him, we have a serious problem."

Everyone looked at Sans. He shrugged apologetically. "i've already used way more energy here than i normally do. those blasters aren't easy to summon, and blue magic takes a heck of a lot of energy. without a lot of good rest and better food, i dunno how much more useful i'm gonna be to ya."

"Well that's easy." Stan gestured a little. "We've got food, and I know from experience that chair in front of the tv is a great place for naps."

Sans laughed a little. "well. even the then, a lot of the fight back there was bluffing. bill is strong, and even at peak energy, i'm not sure i could beat him. i know i could definitely come close, but the endgame is still chancy."

Ford frowned. "It's still the best shot we've currently got."

"So... It's just a waiting game, then?" Dipper mused. "We just have to fend off Bill until Sans thinks he's ready enough to fight?"

"Seems like it."

"In the meantime, though," Ford added, "the shack is still the safest place, and there are all the townsfolk. We should try to get as many people here before Bill begins Weirdmageddon in earnest."

"I can totally help with that." Soos grinned. "I've been modifying the shack golf cart all summer."

"Modifying it?" Dipper sounded interested.

"Yeah, dude, you'll love it. It's got lasers. I was thinking about adding some shark cannons, but McGucket said those wouldn't be ready for a golf cart for a few more months at least."

"... Shark... Cannons...?"

"Yeah, it'll be totally awesome!"

Stan set a hand on Soos's shoulder. "You are a strange man, Soos."

Nonetheless, everyone felt better about having at least part of a plan.

§

A/N

Gotta be honest, I've got no idea how to write Soos. So, I hope I did it well enough.

Anyway, thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoyed it! Comments and votes are my Favorite Things, and every notification I get makes my day!