8. red hue

He swung his sword relentlessly, without stopping to take a breath. His red suit matched his build indisputably. His rectangular sword moved with such precision, such grace that he almost seemed dancing.

Demons clouded his proximity and he couldn't find an opening to break through.

Decapitated heads flew across the high walls of the Vellione cave--the breeding ground of snake demons; his body, covered with green blood and demon guts.

But even in his resilience and effort, the demons kept on coming, as if one grew two heads after being slain.

His hands quivered with every solid blow and his body screamed for rest.

Alucard, the feared demon hunter, seemed to be losing his cool for the very first time, ever since he knew how to combat.

The Vellione cave was a suicide mission but nevertheless, Alucard barged in and started taking demon lives. He had to. All his life he was maltreated, contained by these merciless souls that thirst nothing but power and flesh.

He was down to the last group of demon snakes, also known as Blooks; he was beyond elated but the ones left were colossal, powerful and fast.

He took an exasperated breath and attacked the nearest enemy. He dug his sword and slit open the creature's throat, spurting more blood to his suit.

He gripped the Blook's neck and squeezed it ever so vigoriously, the snake's eye popped out. He was tired but his strength never wavered.

He threw the carcass of the dead demon aside and went to face the last of them, the largest; the leader of the entire den he just ended.

With a swift swipe of his sword, the creature dodged and went translucent. His sword went through the Blook and it burrowed on a rock.

He used his second skill and lifted his sword again. He scanned his surroundings and the demon snake was nowhere to be found; its as if it disappeared and hid.

He collected himself and activated his Ultimate, just in case he would be ambushed.

But he knew, from the books that he has read that Blooks may turn invisible but their eyes will always be seen. Slitted pupils of black and an iris of red, they aren't hard to spot.

He saw what seemed to be an eye on the far corner of the cave, the part where light has been devoid.

He threw a huge rock at that portion and waited. Slithering scales upon rock, the Blook ebbed slowly as if its body cannot be seen.

But Alucard, the conniving swordsman, the potent demon hunter, possessed years of training and experience in him, that no demon can ever outwit his resilient skill for slaying.

He lurched forward and dug his sword as hard as he can in the creature's head, pushing roughly with all his might.

"Let me finish that for you, demon hunter. Its my duty to rid the forest off of demons, not yours." A minute yet authoritative voice resonated across the cave.

He turned his head to the direction of the sound and squinted his eyes in the dark, to get a clear look of the being that just talked.

He saw a red silhoutte illuminated by the sun's rays. He was flabbergasted. Silhuottes were meant to be black and not red. He was again aware of his proximity. It might be an anthropomorphic demon, a demon taking shape of a human.

He removed his sword from the Blook's skull and made small, calculated steps toward the red silhoutte.

"Who are you? Show yourself!" He shouted, desperate to see the vigilant.

"Hello. I am Ruby. The Little Red Hood. Protector of the forest from dire demon wolves and snakes. I come way back from the Land of Dawn for I learned that this specific realm, reeked of demons and darklings." The voice of the silhoutte responded, its tone jolly and peculiar, far from its cold and scrimp tone awhile ago.

From the corner where Ruby stood, something shone; it lit up the entire cave. It was a scythe. About the same size as its owner.

Alucard was surprised to see a small lady, carrying such a weapon that's almost twice her size.

The lady reeked of red hue; she had a red patch on her left eye, with a heart's form. Her dress crawled up until her knees and she was a sight to behold. Innocent, almost fragile looking.

"I have no interests on your roots lady. Leave me be!" Alucard begrudgingly retorted.

"Oh you don't need to be angry Mr.! We can be friends if you want. Just don't shout at me. I'm here to help." Ruby smiled, somewhat mocking him.

His temples creased and his eyebrows furrowed. Alucard was annoyed beyond words. He took desperate steps out of the Vellione cave and left the little red lady to herself.

He let out an abysmal breath when he got out of the dungeon. He traipsed his way to the Land of the Assassins where he would like to enlist himself as an ally.

His quest for killing demons made him lonely and unprecedented. He wanted friends. He wanted people to fight with. He wanted legit missions. He wanted a family.

His arrogance and egotistic nature might as well need medicine and he knew, having people around him would tone down his high-viewing personality.

But as he was walking, he couldn't help but lay his thoughts about that lady, Ruby.

She emitted such purity, such elation that only the sight of her scythe made things the opposite.

He shook his head and dissolved his recent notion; he was never going to see that lady again anyway.

"Psst. Mr. Swordsman!" A familiar voice said, too sweet, too feline for Alucard's ears.

He threw his gaze towards his back and saw his recent thought unfold right in front of him--Ruby.

(Art by: Jeremiah Diwata via Facebook)