Chapter 9. Jack

When I woke up the next morning, I immediately realised that something was wrong. I didn't know what it was, but I just felt like something was missing. And apparently, I wasn't the only one who felt the same way. When I left my cell I saw Morgan and Mat outside, talking quietly to each other.
"Does anyone else feel like something's wrong?" I asked, approaching them.
"Funny you should say that, Mark. Cuz there is something wrong," Mat answered, no longer talking to Morgan.
"What's happened?" I could see how serious they were, and their faces made my mood more sombre.
"Jack's gone," Morgan told me, what sounded like a sob choking her.
"Gone?" I asked, curious if they were playing games or something, but I saw that they were deadly serious.
"What do you mean, gone? He was here yesterday wasn't he? How did he just vanish?"
"We don't know, Mark. We woke up this morning and his cell was empty. We haven't found him anywhere in here. That means he must have been taken above," Morgan raised her head up to the ceiling slightly, before looking back at the table.
"Is that good? Or is that something that we should be concerned about?" I asked now, kind of worried for the answer.
"Put it this way: no one's ever been taken above before. Ever. At least, not that we know of..." Mat said, then trailed off. I frowned, thinking. No one had been taken above that they knew of, but that didn't mean that no one ever had. And there was only one person who's been here longer than anyone.

"Nate?" I asked outside the door. I couldn't see him in there, but the sound of his voice confirmed that he was there.
"What can I do for you, Mark?" He sounded worse than I'd ever heard him, both tired and depressed. I didn't think too much of it, but asked my question.
"Nate, have you ever been taken above?" I knew how blunt and risky I was being but I had to ask now before something happened to Jack...or something worse. Nate was silent for a minute, which made me worried.
"Nate? Have I -" I started, but he cut me off.
"It's not you, Mark. You've done nothing. But um, why do you ask about 'above'? Has something happened?"
I told him what Mat and Morgan had told me and he was silent again.
"Right...that's a problem..." He said, then stopped once more.
"Can you answer my question, Nate?"
"Oh sorry. Right. Well, no, I haven't gone above, Mark. Not to disappoint you. I know you were hoping I had so you could try and help Jack."
"How did you know that?" I asked incredulously, because that's exactly what I was thinking.
"Just a guess," He said hurriedly. I got the feeling that he'd just let something loose and was trying to end the conversation. So I said, "Ok, thanks anyway Nate. See ya later." And I left, going back to Morgan and Mat.
"What did you ask Nate, Mark?" Mat asked when I got back to him and Morgan.
"I just asked him if he'd ever been above, but he hasn't." When I said this, both Morgan and Mat gasped softly, almost in unison.
"What's up?" I asked.
"I mean, isn't a dangerous thing to ask? Especially to him?" Morgan whispered, as though afraid he would hear her.
"No. Why do you guys think he's this dangerous, unstable murderer? He can have his moments, sure, but I've spoken to him way more times than you guys and he's actually a nice guy. You guys just need to talk to him more."
This was something I had been wanting to say for a few days but now was the best chance. Both Morgan and Mat considered my words for a minute or two, then Morgan said, "Maybe you're right, Mark. I don't think I've ever had a proper conversation with him."
She didn't remember that time she stopped speaking, and neither me nor Mat reminded her.
"Exactly," I said. "Go have a chat with him Morgan. You'll see, he's not as bad as you guys make him out to be."

Well, those were the worst words I ever said to anyone. I can't believe I told Morgan to talk to Nate. When she came back, she was so scared she couldn't walk straight: she almost fell into me and I had to help her onto the bench.
"Whoa, Morgan, what the hell happened?" I asked desperately, and Mat seemed equally concerned.
"What are you talking about Mark?! You said he was nice! Not someone who threatens to end your life!" Morgan was inconsolable, almost crying with sheer terror. How many times did I have to confront this guy about her? When I got there, I saw he was already looking out, as though he was expecting me.
"What did you do this time?" I asked, slightly annoyed that I have to deal with this situation, while Jack is still missing.
"Why do you always assume I've done something?" Nate retorted, looking me dead in the eyes.
"Because Morgan's only upset after she's come to see you. None of us have done anything."
"Neither have I! She brings this upon herself, I don't do anything. So please stop questioning me about why Morgan is upset. Cuz I honestly don't know. Okay?"
I knew he was being truthful; I could hear it in his voice.
"Ok. I'm sorry. I just feel like..."
"Like you should protect her?" Nate finished my sentence for me, looking at me with softer eyes.
"Yeah."
"It's OK. I can tell you care for her. But you're still young, Mark. Both of you. Don't let love enter your life this early, or it'll crush you sooner, rather than later. "

When I got back to Morgan, I sat down and whispered to Mat, "So what are we gonna do about Jack? Are we gonna save him?"
"I don't see how that's a possibility honestly, Mark. I mean, we're just 4 kids. How do you expect to just waltz in and take Jack back, wherever he is?"
"We have superhuman powers, dude. Did you forget about that? And there's not 4 of us."
Mat looked at me oddly.
"You do know how to count, right Mark?"
"Yes, I know how to count! But there's a fifth person," I said, and looked over in Nate's direction.