the death of something is the beginning of another

"So, what's new today?" I propped my chin onto my hand, my other hand twirling a pen expertly. 

"Today I was supposed to collect a soul from Derek Walters."

"Isn't he the guy who was just on TV for holding the World's Guinness Records as the oldest living person?" I raised an eyebrow.

"That's my point." Death folded his hands in front of him like he was trying to appear professional, but threw up his arms in frustration. "Now Grim will be all up in my case.''

''There are people dying every second. What difference does one less soul make?''

''This is what, the twenty-fourth time you're seeing me and you're still asking these kind of questions?' he exhaled, annoyed. 'What kind of psychologist are you?''

''I'm a psychologist like you said, not a ghost expert nor a mind-reader.' I answered calmly. 'You're entirely free to terminate my services anytime.''

''Nah, I've kinda grown used to seeing your face every Thursday.' he chuckled, rolling a lollipop around his mouth like a child. 'Which psychologist can tell people that they have a meeting with Death every week?''

''The insane, bat-shit crazy variety.'' I responded.

The fact that I was holding such a casual conversation with a character which people literally avoided like the plague would have been written off as a nightmare of the worst kind weeks ago. Who could've known the silver-haired man sitting before me with a devil-may-care smirk on his face was Death?

The funny thing was that I didn't meet him at a cemetery, hospital or some dilapidated, haunted warehouse. I was late-night shopping at Walmart when one aisle away, someone suddenly screamed. Curious and nosy as I was, I stepped over cautiously to find a woman who was splayed on the floor, unconscious. Beside her, a lady with a horrified expression on her face was calling for the ambulance with trembling fingers.

A few steps away, someone was watching silently.

I narrowed my eyes at the man who seemed so oddly calm. His fedora shielded his eyes, and I could only see the edge of a sharp nose and full but pale lips. His arms were spread and his palms were outstretched, as if he was awaiting for angels to descend from above.

In my years of training as a psychologist, I could not for the life of me tell from this man's body language what his motive was.

''Are you okay, Miss? The ambulance is on the way.'' the lady broke my train of thoughts.

''Yeah.'' I nodded, a little bemused as to why she would ask me that when she was the one who had looked so shell-shocked a few minutes ago. 'I'm just wondering what he's up to.'

''I'm sure God does. Even if she doesn't pull through, the angels will be with her.''

My eyes were still trained on the mysterious man in black, who finally lifted his eyes to meet mine. They were a startling blue, and I felt a wave of inexplicable emotions wash over me as he started to walk towards yours truly.

*

How I ended up as his psychologist was a combination of my personal conviction that I was going mad, him attempting to convince me he was indeed what, or rather, who he was, and his penchant for going on long, angsty rambles. One way or another, we ended up striking an unlikely and begrudging friendship. I honestly couldn't complain much; my busy schedule left me little chance for actual casual conversation, and he hardly had anyone to rant to while completing his 'earthly missions'. There was no way for me to meet him in public given how it would look like I was speaking to thin air, and I would never let him into my house.

Plus, Death was rich enough to pay me usual consultation rates.

''Dr Raven, Mr Kingsley Sloan has rescheduled his appointment to tomorrow, 230pm.'' my PA informed me as I passed the front desk.

''I'm pretty sure I'm already filled in.''

''No actually, that slot is free.''

''Thursday, 230pm right?'' I raised an eyebrow.

''Yes.''

''Triple check and get back to me later.'' I answered briskly, striding back to my office.

It wasn't like Diana to be careless. After all, I had meticulously hand-picked my PAs (she was the third one so far).

But it wasn't like Death to miss an appointment either.

*