there is no death, only a change of worlds

A steady vibration coursing through my arm, snapping me abruptly out of a deep slumber. Groaning, I forced my eyes open and scrolled through a gazillion new texts and missed calls. Mostly from Christie, but a ton from my PA and other clients as well.

Missed calls: Christie (11)

Text messages: Christie (9)

Good morning Ariel, text me when you're awake! x

Ariel, please call me.

Ariel, you okay?

Ariel, please don't make me fear for your life. Don't do this to me.

I gulped and looked at the time on my phone. The bold numbers stared up at me almost mockingly. Crap, it was 1037AM already?! I had never slept in so late before, and I had missed at least two appointments. Swell.

I typed a quick reply to my best friend, assuring her that I was okay, perplexed as to why she was freaking out like she had embarrassed herself big-time in front of her favourite author. I took less than ten minutes to get dressed and grab my bag, almost forgetting to lock up my apartment as I dashed out.

Cursing under my breath, I scrolled through my flurry of messages as I got into my car. Had I come down with something? I had never slept a solid eight hours ever even before I got my PhD and was licensed to be a clinical psychologist. Heck, even as a teenager, I was always up--

A sudden screeching of tyres and a deafening shattering of glass made me sit up with horror as my phone fell from my trembling fingers. Pain shot up my limbs and I cried out in agony as it spread through my body and rendered me immobile.

''Hey! Miss! Are you alright? Please, say something!'' A man's voice called out. At the same time, someone was rapping on my window.

''I... I can't really move.'' I groaned as I pried open the car door, wincing as I took in my glass-pierced arms.

''I'll call the ambulance.'' the stocky man said hurriedly, his voice weak with fear and his fingers trembling. ''Hello? Yes, I'd like to...''

''Can you climb out?'' A man beside him asked.

''I think so.'' I tried to hold in my groans of agony as I crawled out painfully. ''I don't know what happened...'' my voice trailed off and my whole body turned cold as I looked up ahead of me.

I had crashed right into a lorry transporting canisters of gasoline.

''You have some injuries you'll need to get checked out, but you're really lucky that thing didn't explode.'' The man said, shaking his head. ''Were you texting?''

I nodded mutely, shame-faced.

''Keep both eyes on the road next time, yeah?''The man looked at me, his startlingly blue eyes oddly calming to my frayed nerves.

''Definitely.'' I exhaled shakily. ''Thank you.''

''I need to go now.'' Something fell over his face like a dark shadow. ''Take care, Ariel.'' Before I could react, he tilted his fedora at me quickly and started walking off.

It was only when the medics had arrived that I realised that I didn't tell him my name.