Chapter 8: Heaven Isn't Enough

Viewpoint: Eli

I'm pretty sure they died from the first few shots. That didn't stop me. I continued to unload all of my bullets into the twitching carcasses until they stopped moving. I went to reload my gun, but Annie put a hand out to stop me. I looked around at everyone else. They all were backed up slightly from me and they all looked at me like I was crazy.

"They're dead, Eli," Annie said softly. I dropped my gun and backed away slowly. I looked at my hands, they were trembling.

"I... I don't know what happened..." I said to everyone. "I lost control..." I said in disbelief.

"Don't worry, Eli," Athena responded. "If you didn't do it I was," she said coldly. "I'm pretty sure you all have it figured out already but these people take unsuspecting survivors and eat them, but not without judging their strength first."

"What do you mean?" Annie asked.

"They take the strongest one, at least who they deem to be the strongest, and throw them into a pit filled with Lurkers to see how strong they are," Athena responded.

"So like some sort of Fight Club?" Dwayne asked.

"Kinda, except this one you take on many undead, flesh-eating bozos at once," Athena said. "She told me this bull crap of how she was once like us and she was forced to eat her daughter just to survive."

I felt the mood dim as she said that.

"Brutal," Dwayne responded, shaking his head while looking down. "And they're all like this?"

"She got them to follow her like a cult. She made them into her own personal hunting pack that preys on the weak."

"And these were the same people back in Florida?" Annie asked.

"Yes, definitely," I answered back coldly. "The same ones who killed Joel."

"Do you think there's more of them?" Kristen asked, scanning the area for any movement.

"No, I think those horse people took care of most of them," I answered. "And I killed their leader. If there are more then they won't last for long without someone telling them what to do."

"Too bad about Officer Chandler, though," Kristen said in a depressed tone. "He was only helping us get out. Maybe if we didn't rush he would be..." her voice trailed off.

"No, Eli made the right call," Annie said, patting my shoulder. "If we had waited maybe Athena would be dead and we would be their next feast."

"Eleanor did say to take them dead or alive," Hannah said. "And you said that you've had trouble with these guys before?" she asked.

Everyone but Martin nodded.

"Looks like you tied up some loose ends, Eli. They can't hurt anyone anymore," she added. I thought about what she said for a bit. She's right, no one will die like Joel did anymore. I guess the thought of losing anyone else took over me and caused me to lose control. Isn't killing someone supposed to mess you up in the long run? I mean its messing with me right now but is this killing justified?

Yes. Yes it is justified.

Joel deserved to live like everyone else. EVERYONE that died deserved to live through this.

"Toby, Mike, Chloe, Mr. Brooks, Joel ... Nate..." I paused. "Everyone we lost deserves to live, deserves to be right here standing next to us, deserves to be living with us at the CDC. Killing these people gives them justice, makes their deaths worth it because heaven isn't enough of a consolation for them."