Chapter 9 & 10

Chapter Nine 

Begin challenging your assumptions. Your assumptions are the windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while or the light won't come in. Alan Alda

***

Their rations were depleted by the time they rounded the forest of Tavlala trees. Quinn was pleased when Gersha introduced him to the seeds of the seto-bush. It grew in sheaths, much like wheat. A handful of seeds turned out sweet and chewy when tossed in your mouth. He was ravenous, reaching to pick more as he chewed, while tucking more sheaths into his satchel for later.

In the past hour or so, they had been more watchful than ever, though no-one had sensed the enemy's presence since changing direction. Quinn didn't understand why they hadn't attempted to make contact with Yeb, who he presumed had been the ones stalking them—it was after all their goal, wasn't it? The foot of the mountain was now in view and Quinn spotted a dark patch that could be the mouth of a cave. He asked Zebbah about it and Zebbah confirmed his thoughts. They were in the clearing between the mountain and the Tavlala trees, and would again be able to spot trouble from some distance away.

They reached the cave without incident. Kau went in first to check that it was safe and called to them from the inside to enter. They moved inside, but stayed close to the mouth of the cave for light. Gersha suggested that they go to the river (which was apparently not far) to refill their skins before they settled down for the evening.

Kau overruled her suggestion immediately. "We are very close to the area where Nago is building the wall to trap the water. It is not safe to go closer."

"I agree..." Zebbah stopped short when Efost burst into their conversation pointing his fingers outside.

He put his hands up to the others, "Shhh."

They fell silent as Efost lifted his face and closed his eyes. It looked to Quinn like he was listening, or sensing something. He turned his head to the side and held there for a few seconds. Then he opened his eyes and pointed to his left while speaking to Zebbah.

Zebbah gestured for Efost to proceed and followed him outside again. He spoke over his shoulder, "Come, Efost hears a stream."

They walked out of the cave and turned right. Efost led them up a short slope. They climbed only a few minutes and then rounded a high rock. Quinn heard the clear melody of trickling water just as Zebbah gave Efost a commending slap on the shoulder. Zebbah crouched down to fill his skin from the crystal stream flowing out from beneath the rock.

"You heard this stream?" Quinn asked Efost incredulously.

Efost nodded proudly and Quinn couldn't help but smile with him. Efost was such an uncomplicated, easy character. He was friendly and eager to please or help. In what Quinn had seen of the little guy, he was very child-like, though not self-centered like most young kids he knew. When Efost was not busy helping others he was standing back to allow others to benefit from something rather than himself. Quinn could see that he had the others' respect and that it was (remarkably), not so much for his evident giftedness, than for his obvious goodness. The Tree People truly valued each other for who they were.

They stood around the stream taking in the scenery below. The short hike up had brought them to a height where they could see over the top of the Tavlala trees where they had originally planned to overnight. Beyond that was the forest with the wide, winding river to its left. In the distance, where the river disappeared around a bend, the top of Tibay was a visible reminder of their mission and the fact that so many back there were counting on them to succeed.

Quinn commented that the second sun was close to setting and asked Zebbah how their days worked.

"Let us return to the cave," Zebbah said "There I shall enlighten you," and then with his signature dry humor, "or bore you to such an extent that you fall asleep and wake well-rested."