Prologue

Prologue

Hard, bleak winds blew across the rustic meadows and gravel road as a lone rider pressed his horse faster and faster. The hooves of the weary and worn horse sent gravel and dirt flying in its wake as the rider struggled to stay aloft.

Blood ran down the rider's arm, dripping onto his torn tunic before falling to the dusty road. His head sagged forward, one arm around the neck of the horse while the other pressed against the gaping wound on his chest.

As the horse and rider crested a grassy hill, a sapphire lake spread out before them, and beyond that, the spanning city of Eynsworth. A blue sky, crystal and calm, provided a pleasant backdrop to the rich and pleasant city. The sight was foreign and out of place in the eyes of the rider. He carried a heavy burden that cast dark shadows on the peaceful land of Udor. The knowledge he held was the only thing that kept him on that horse.

The rider pressed the horse forward in hurried urge, renewed strength at the sight of the city and the arching towers of the Citadel beyond it. The pain and weariness in his body faded to the back of his mind as he rode down the hill and into Eynsworth, the capital city of Udor.

The city was abustle in the crisp morning air, farmers tilling and caring for their crops, merchants setting out their wares, and housewives beginning the first of the household chores. No one noticed him as he rode by in haste, his eyes set on the towering building before him.

The soldiers didn't stop him as he rode through the towering marble gates into the Citadel and dismounted. The man swayed, his mud flaked boots skidding on the stone pathway in the courtyard. A young hostler took the horse for him as he limped up the stone steps and into the Citadel.

The wide corridors, high windows, and elegantly carved stone archways met the rider, but all passed his notice. He trudged past startled servants and soldiers, leaving a trail of blood in his wake. The looming doors of the cathedra hall met him, two stiff soldiers guarding the doors. He paused as they pulled open the heavy doors, sensing the urgency of the message he carried.

Before someone could announce him, the man limped forward to the base of the cathedra and kneeled to the high figure before him. The glass floor beneath him reflected back shaggy hair and a haggard face. After two days of non-stop riding, the man had made it.

He heaved in a great breath and rose to face the ruler of Udor. "Esteemed Anax," he began, his voice rough and grating. "I bring news of utmost importance." He winced and stumbled forward a step, the pain from his wounds momentarily blinding him.

The tall, elegantly clothed figure on the throne leaned forward, worry flickering across his wise features. "Cassian, bring an alleviator for this man." A lithe man near the base of the cathedra nodded immediately, casting a flickering glance at the messenger before he hurried out of the room.

"What news do you bring?" The Anax pressed, worry now lining his brow as he gazed at the weary rider. The other members of the court studied the messenger in anticipation as well, their ears attuned to what he might say.

The messenger took a slow staggering breath, releasing the weight he had held on his shoulders for the past week. "Maxim Brevil has returned to Udor."

A resounding gasp echoed throughout the vast room, followed by a hollow silence. The messenger grimaced, knowing the effect his next words would have as well. "And he has plans, your excellency. I have overheard knowledge of a plot from the Guild."

Hushed whispers scattered about the room, growing as each member of the court fought to be heard. The noise combined to create a furious chaos. Then a loud, booming voice reached above the rest.

"Silence!"

The court fell silent as all heads turned to the figure on the dias, standing with his hands raised. The Anax's power radiated from him in that moment, a storm cloud over a stormy sea, reigning it to his will.

Once the Anax was satisfied with the semblance of control he had created in his court, he turned his stony gaze back to the messenger. "What else have you heard?"

The messenger drew in another pained breath. A small puddle of blood formed around his scuffed boots, staining the crystal floor. All gazes turned from the Anax to the man who held the knowledge for their future in his hands.

The man relayed all the knowledge he had gathered.

A/N: Alright, so this is the prologue for the Infernal Blade! I've been working on this idea for quite a while, and I'm excited to finally be able to share it with you all! Please let me know what you think; I appreciate the feedback!