Twelve

Kanika

The stars glittered high above the crystal dome, flickering amongst the blanket of darkness. The torchlight hanging from the walls cast long, flickering shadows on the marble floor as I passed. My heels made a satisfying sound with each footfall, announcing my presence to the man gagged and bound to a chair. He wore the Anax's livery, an antler crossed with a sword.

I stopped directly beneath the crystal dome in the upper room of my home, a place perfect for partying and dancing. And tonight, it would be perfect for an interrogation. I signaled to Kane who pulled the hood off the man's head. The prisoner blinked, taking in his surroundings. When his eyes landed on me, his expression reflected horror.

I smirked. "Welcome to my home. Please, make yourself comfortable."

The man struggled against his bonds, grunting. I watched him with amusement, waiting for him to calm down. Seeing him subdued gave me no small amount of pleasure.

It only took a few moments before the man realized he wouldn't be able to get out of the knots Rashid tied. Despite the servant's many flaws, he certainly could tie knots. The man stilled and met my gaze, determination creeping into his expression.

"That's better," I murmured. "Are you ready to have a civil conversation?"

When the man didn't respond, Kane raised his fingers, blue sparks flickering at the tips. I held up my hand, halting his summoning. The sparks vanished as his hand lowered. "You have failed your mission, soldier. Nevertheless, I may let you live if you please me. You know who I am. You know what I can do. Do not test me."

"I have nothing to say to you," he spoke at last, his voice hoarse. He glanced at Kane, eyeing his fingers.

"I find enjoyment from the stubbornness of the Anax's soldiers," I told Kane. "They all have such hope. Such determination." I approached the prisoner, stopping an arm's length away. "I shall enjoy breaking you."

{~*~}

The prisoner's screams echoed down the hallway, following me as I left him behind in Kane's care. As much as I didn't mind doing my own dirty work, he had insisted. I had caught the spy trying to enter my home through a lower level window, somehow having found it in the first place. Nevertheless, I had enough magic binding the house to me that it had given him up.

Kane and I had been in the middle of discussing Brevil's plans, and how to deal with them. And of course, ever the gentleman, he had insisted on helping. Now that we knew why the Anax's spy was here, I had things to tend to. Too bad for the spy that he didn't know more. At least Kane would leave my servants alone this time.

Rashid met me as I entered my study, and I waited to speak until he had closed the doors. I flicked my fingers, the curtains swinging shut against the windows to further provide privacy. "My sister is planning to make a move against me," I said, my voice devoid of emotion. It had been a long time since I had ever felt anything for her. The word sister meant nothing to me.

"What would you have me do?" Rashid asked, wide-eyed.

"We must prepare to welcome her with open arms." I grinned, unable to hide my excitement.

I left Rashid behind in my study to finish up preparations and headed to my room. Kane would likely be finishing up with the spy soon, and I wanted to see him one last time. To make sure everything would be set. If Endana really did intend to make a move against me, then she had to be desperate. I supposed Brevil would do that to the Anax and his followers.

The window sat across from my bed, the barest hint of dawn settling in above the treetops. I didn't know when Endana would make her move, or with whom. But that didn't matter. It would not succeed. And her desperation would only grow when I captured the next people she sent.