Chapter 29: Reunion

"Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday dear Luca, Happy Birthday to you!" we all sing as Ma brings out Luca's Spiderman cake. I love the way his eyes light up, Ma had told him she didn't have time to make him a fancy cake and that it would just be a chocolate one. Along with all of my siblings, Luca has invited a few of his friends. All morning we have been playing party games like pass the parcel, musical statues and there was even a treasure hunt. Luca is sitting on Shaun's lap. He loves when the big boys come home because usually he's surrounded by us girls. I love watching him interacting with my older brothers especially Shaun, he's nearly exactly like Shaun was when he was younger. Luca is just like Dad in the way he is always smiling, unless there is broccoli involved. Five years ago this little bundle of cuteness and joy was born, the time has gone by so quick. Luca tilts his head back to look at Shaun after blowing out his candles, as if he is asking whether he did a good job.

"Well done Luca my little man," Shaun catches on, facing his palm upwards so Luca can hi-five him. Luca's smile is extremely wide as he laughs with Shaun. This time spent together is good for them both. I think Shaun just has a lot more boyish fun with Luca whilst Max is more logical and likes teaching Luca new things. Max is fun to hang out with but in a different way to Shaun. I can't wait to see how both of their children will turn out.

I watch as all the little kids line up to each get a piece of Luca's chocolatey goodness Spiderman cake. Our little baby is starting school after the holidays. What the actual heck? The two little girls that Luca invited are dressed in cute little dresses and it makes me think back to Tommy's fifth birthday. We went to the park in the middle of the city, it was a little Thomas the tank engine themed picnic. I wore my sparkly purple dress and had Clifford the Big Red Dog gumboots on just in case we decided to jump in the leaf piles. Last Sunday when I had that minor argument with Tommy I had forgotten that we've grown up in each other's lives. There is no point in throwing that away over a stupid mistake. I would like to think that Luca will grow up with these kids that are sitting on the back porch eating cake with him. But who knows where life will take them. What I've learnt is that life isn't predictable at all. One of Luca's best friends could move away or they may just fall out of friendship as they grow up. But it would be so precious if he had at least one of these friends for as long as he lives.

Kyra sits on Millie's lap giggling about how a few of the boys now have cake all over their faces. Kyra, just like me loves Millie's attention. I spend as much time as I can with Kyra, but Millie has a balance between a motherly/caring vibe and a fun vibe. Millie is me and Mum put together. Last night us older four siblings all sat in the spa and talked about the directions in which our lives were going. Max's time in the fight club wasn't a secret, Ma knew but hated asking questions. She wanted him to make his own mistakes. I still have no idea what I will do now that I'm about to graduate. But I do know that my options are not limited.

"It's always entertaining watching kids running around, especially when Shaun is joining in. My twin is wack," Max pulls me out of my thoughts. He takes a seat next to me and throws an arm over my shoulder.

"Luca's group of friends are just adorable and incredibly hilarious. I thought Luca was crazy but his some of his friends are ten times crazier," I grin nodding my head in the direction of a kid who is running around the backyard with his shirt over his head.

"Luca didn't learn his craziness from me that's for sure, you can blame that on Shaun. Shaun was the boy in new entrant class that would draw crazy things in his book or tap kids on the head when they were sitting on a circle on the mat with the teacher," Max chuckles. At the mention of Shaun, my crazy brother jumps up from behind a bush ready to chase little Cooper.

"But that's not always a bad thing," I shrug, "craziness is what makes him who he is, you're the sensible brother, well sensible in the way. You are the more thoughtful/logical one and aren't weird 88% of the time. Well really, both of you are pretty strange let's be honest. We all are we were brought up with fun loving parents, we're always going to enjoy a good laugh more than having a polite meal with small talk. We Diego's are all a little mad but that's what makes us special."

"I swear you're more logical than me sometimes, you always say these deep things and I'm like 'where did that come from?' But you are right," Max nudges me with his shoulder playfully.

My point is proven when Millie and Kyra suddenly break out into singing a Spice Girls song. Max's laugh makes the moment even more entertaining. That's something that he has inherited from Dad, his laugh is enough to make anyone's day- it comes from the belly, rising as big wide grin appears on their face. When I join in singing I see Max face palm out of the corner of my eye which only makes me sing louder.

"Oh wow, our sisters are loooooopy," Shaun chuckles to Max collapsing on the floor by my feet.

"Oh shush up, you know you wanna join in," I grin tapping his head with my big toe.

"Stop, right now. Thank you very much," He sings as he playfully shoves my foot away from his face. 

"I need somebody with a human touch," Max gives in with a sigh.

"Hey you, always on the run. Gotta slow down baby, gotta have some fun," The five of us sing together as Luca and his friends play tag around the backyard.  

........................... ..............................

"So guys I have something to share with you," Shaun says as we sit around the table eating Luca's choice of dinner- home made pizzas. We all look at him in anticipation, silently begging for him to continue, "I asked Cassia to marry me two nights ago, I know I should've told you earlier. As in like yesterday, as soon as I arrived but everyone was so excited to see each other. I kinda forgot you didn't know.  I took her to the top of Turtle Rock and led her on this treasure hunt kind of thing around the beaches. We ended up back at home, there were petals and candles leading to our room where I got down on on knee and asked her to marry me. It's been a long time for her to wait. I hope we can get married super soon."

The dinner table explodes in excited squeals. All of us leap up from our seats to give him congratulating hugs. 

"My maan, so proud of you dude," Max thumps his back.

"I'm proud of you too, you got your girl this week too. Aren't we Diego twins a pair of charmers?"

"You sure are," Mum and Millie say in unison making Kyra laugh.

"Just wait till Luca gets to your age," Kyra giggles whilst Luca looks a little confused.

"Luca do you have a girlfriend?" I ask ruffling his hair.

"No only big boys have girlfriends," his answer brings a smug smile to my mother's face.

"Thatta boy," Mum smiles kissing his head.