Kane

- Chapter 19 -

Quote of the week:

"I didn't know why I was going to cry, but I knew that if anybody spoke to me or looked at me too closely the tears would fly out of my eyes and the sobs would fly out of the throat and I'd cry for a week."

― Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar

I awoke from my deep slumber to find the empty space next to me. 'She has been gone quite a while ago,' I concluded. Sniffing the sheets, her scent had started to disappear, as if she had woken up three hours ago. I furrowed my brows and proceeded to get up to look for her. Making sure I was covered, I headed down the stairs and into the kitchen where pack members gathered for breakfast.

"Have any of you guys seen my mate?" I lean in the doorway waiting for an answer. They all chorused a "no" and looked at me curiously. I exhaled shakily feeling my anger rise. Walking outside, I approached the pack warriors. 

"Wesley?" I called out. "Yes, Beta!" Kyoto jogged up to my side. 

"Ask your men if they saw my mate, you guys were patrolling last night weren't you?" I cross my arms impatiently. "Yes, Beta," she slightly bowed and headed back to her group.

A moment later, she headed towards me with a slight frown. "What?" I questioned. "Some of them said they saw beta female wandering in the woods... a little too deep in the woods," she replied timidly.

I squinted my eyes and leveled myself to her height. "Are you telling me, that your men let my mate wander in the woods?" I said in a low voice. Kyoto sucked in a breath and nodded. I stormed over to the scouts, seeing the obvious fear in their eyes.

"Hello, guys," my eyes widened, threatening them. "Beta-sir," they all stood up and bowed deeply. "So, tell me, what did my mate do?" They all glanced at each other. "Well?" I rose an eyebrow.

"Ah, Beta, I saw her wandering in the woods following the path from which you brought her here," Lloyd spoke up, "I did ask her if she had permission from you and she said yes-" I cut him off, "and did you ask me for confirmation?!" I nearly yelled, catching the attention of all the other warriors. Lloyd cowered back, hanging his head lower if possible.

"We were following her Beta-" Another one spoke up, but I nearly pushed him over. "Following her? If you were following her, why are you here? Where is she that you should be laying around here as if she was next to me?" I spoke in a low voice, seeing as that made them fear me even more.

"What's going on here?" Hayden's voice boomed through the field and everyone turned to bow. "Alpha!" They greeted. "Kane," he approached me and put a hand on my shoulder. "D-don't touch me- fuck," I choked. I angrily shifted into my wolf and fled into the trees.