Chapter 43: Aro

"Listen to me Nessie" Jake says taking my head in his heater like hands. His hands wouldn't feel right to anyone else being too warm and sweaty, but to me, they feel like like velvet. He stares at me with his hickory colored eyes and I stare right back fighting the urge to just curl up again into his lap and cry myself to oblivion. He pulls my head against his chest and coerces my hair slowly, trying to calm me down. And it does. All the sadness I felt, all the anger slowly started to ooze out of me, like how a slug leaves behind a trail of its slim. A smile even formed upon my lips without my permission, and I looked at Jake.

"Nessie, whatever happens happens." He says in a taut voice. He touches my check and I touch his hand showing him the memories of us together. Of our first kiss. Of how he practically almost killed Todd. How he always loved me and protected me, even before I truly knew him. Even before my existence. And a swear in that moment, I saw a tear forming at the corner of his eye as he stared off into the distance looking into my mind.

"Jake" I respond in a ringing matter-of-fact voice. "As long as I'm with you, I couldn't care less".

And with that, we walk down the pearl white stairs to see Aro being let into the house by Grandpa Carlisle. The wind's frosty breath from outside swoops into the whole house making me shiver. I can see the trees outside. The sage color contrasts nicely against the slate colored sky. But through the clouds, I can spot a small sunbeam showing itself. That small sunbeam reminded myself of me. How as small as I am, I matter a lot to people. And that I in this moment, could control the faith of my family.

"My, my, what a pleasant surprise meeting you all here. Even a wolf! What are the odds? Must be my lucky day, don't you assume Carlisle?" Aro announces in his silvery tongued voice. He wears all black, but I can detect the difference of the blacks. Aro appears to be wearing an onyx colored long coat that goes down to his feet, along with a raven colored suit underneath, and a gold chain with the red Volturi's symbol. His eyes are the color of dark red wine, and his skin is even whiter than mine. I hear Jake erupt a low growl and Aro turns his head to him. His eyes alight like a child's signaling he has an idea.

"Come here child" he whispers to Jacob. It's clear what he wants, to hear Jacob's thoughts. But I know Jake, and he sure in hell won't let a "bloodsucker" do that to him, or to me.

"How about you come here" Jake snaps in a guttural voice.

"My! I like your spice young man! I love to meet people who'll give me a good kick once in a while" he laughs fruitily walking over to Jake. Jacob grabs my hand as Aro attempts to touch his face only to touch the air.

"Listen to him Jacob" my father warns him politely.

"Jacob" my mother proclaims. And Jacob gives in and let's Aro touch his face. More faces than I can see accumulate Aro's as he reads Jake's mind. And then he stops, and rests his hand by his side. He looks at me tauntingly.

"Renesmee, you've been quite the busy girl haven't you?" Aro laughs a wicked laugh followed by a menacing grin.

"What would you like from us Aro?" Grandpa Carlisle replies. "You very seldom travel alone unless it's for great reason to." Aro looks at him and smiles.

"Carlisle, we miss you very much in the coven. You really don't want to come back? Your power shouldn't be wasted like this." He risks.

"I love my family too much. And if that's a waste, then I would say I've been wasting my life away"

"Touching. Anyhow, I came because I heard whispers about a love between a wolf and a vampire in Forks. The rest of the coven didn't much care to come knowing they've done what they can with all of you", he pointed lamely around at us, "But I thought, well, wouldn't that be splendid. The power that would come from a future happening hmm? We've only had legends of that happening before. The legends were fake though because no vampire was ever stupid enough to love a smelly, worthless wolf such as yourself my dear boy. So I've come today to ask, or rather take your word of approval." The tension in the room grew as we all pondered his words that lay in the air around us. Aro's heard all about me and Jake. And now he knows it's true from the thoughts and images he received from Jake. But what could he mean by the future? By what power? Oh my-

"Renesmee? Or Nessie they call you? Like the monster? Oh, what a low-level name for someone of your strength" he replied touching a stroke of my hair.

"I'd like to get your permission"

I couldn't believe I was doing this. I wanted to kill Aro. Do it here, and now. I wanted to see him suffer. To see him pay for all that he's done to my family. And now to me and Jake. I looked to Jacob and he nodded as if to remind me what Alice said. To agree to anything. I looked over to Alice and she looked sure of herself. But I began to cry. Tears forming in pools under my eyes and running down my checks. I heard them hit the floor. My dad looked confused, but my mom's eyes lite up. She knew, and I now did too.

"Yes Aro?" I quietly asked with such vengeance in my voice.

"When you and Jacob get older and become more intimate with each other, I'd like to have your child as my own." Just then, Jacob rushed at Aro, but Aro dodged out of the way. Jasper grabbed Jacob and my Emmet did too. Jacob fought viciously and tried to escape their grasps with all his strength. He started to turn so I went up to him and kissed him lightly knowing he'd only make things worse.

"Nessie!" He screamed. "Don't listen to him!...Say no!...Nessie!" But I couldn't say no. I had to listen to Alice. As hard it was I had to trust her. So I did the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. I walked straight up to Aro, who had his hand extended, and I shook it agreeing to his terms.

"Thank you all." He said walking out. But stopped a foot out the door and turned back to me.

"Nessie? Can I call you that?"

"No" I responded flatly.

"Well, I just wanted to thank you. No need to be so rude" he then left and I'd found myself pinned to the floor by Jasper. My fangs were out and my heart was pumped faster than I've ever heard it. I screamed and cried to run after him. To have his blood in my hands. For Jasper to let me go, but they didn't budge. And I eventually calmed down and sat on the couch next to Jacob and the rest of the family. I looked at him with my bloodshot eyes, and he returned the image.