Chapter eleven: Rachel

Gentleman? Andrew? The idea of it made me cringe, he's charming and flirty, sure. I wouldn't go so far as calling him a gentleman. Kim would cater to his needs. She's nice, helpful and could tolerate his arrogance. It has been too long. Entering the gym, packed with students on the bleachers, I scoped around for the familiar faces of Susan or Jaime. Someone bumped into my back slightly, I walked away from the entrance and to the bleachers until I spotted Susan waving her arm left and right ecstatically at the middle row. I waved back smiling and stepped onto the bleachers carefully not to fall or hurt anyone.

I sat next to her, "I have a good feeling this year is gonna be memorable!" She said in a hushed whisper shaking my arm.

"Same," I responded in the same tone, despite the weird and random morning I still had a giddy sensation for the school year.

"Have you seen Jamie?" She asked, scanning the crowd.

"No, I just got in this morning. With Andrew."

"Oooooo!" She teased, nudging my elbow.

"There's no ooooo. My parents and his had this idea to carpool."

"Then they sense it too."

"What?" I frowned.

The microphone feedback echoed across the gym before she could answer, I winced at the ringing sound everyone else groaned.

"Sorry," Principal Stone apologized as she cleared her throat fixing the volume and tapped the top for an appropriate one. In her pink and white pants suit and a small smile, she brushed down her short bob hair with her palms. The best principal for the school, a former guidance counselor, was promoted. Strict but fair, she got her job done. She was a replacement from our lazy Principal Jenkins, she literally did nothing to get paid.

"Welcome students to a brand-new year," she began, "as we journey on to this semester please remember to treat everyone with the utmost respect and tolerance. There are old faces I recognized, new faces: welcome aboard. For anyone that needs help please old students lend a helping hand. The curriculum is not hard to follow, teachers and counselors are on standby for assistance."

I heard a light giggle behind me, I turned around, Kim was all over Andrew: arm linked to his as he whispered in her ear pulling on her strands gently. I turned back around and exhaled. I shouldn't be surprised, I shouldn't feel the heat at the top of my head, either. No, it's good, let her be his distraction.

"Think we'll have a carnival this year?" Susan whispered.

"It depends, if we raise enough money for our grade's fundraiser." Both of us crossed our two fingers giddy.

"Let's make this a great year, students. Practice safety and remember to have fun!" Whoops and claps of excitement came from behind me, I joined in clapping my hands loud and hard. My mood jolted up, I smiled widely, my cheeks hurt.

As the principal dismissed us, me and Susie walked off together, linking our elbows through the halls. As we headed out, the assistant was handing out a sheet of paper to us all. Some declined, others took one. Including me. Reading it closely was a list of after school programs, activities on and off campus. Some of them looked interesting. There was peer mediation, yearbook club, Model UN, Debate Society, etc.

"I might join one of these." I continued to scan the list.

"Why?" She asked.

"Because they seem fun. Look, there's a Biology club." I pointed to the paper.

"Lame." Susie rolled her eyes.

"And openings for the Drama club!"

"Huh. But I don't want to spend more time in school." She scrunched her face.

"More experience for the real world. To get us ready for university," I stated.

"The only thing universities care about if you have money." She did have a point. Higher learning was more about the money you earn to pay for classes. I believed in more education, opening my mind to opportunities, the world around us so far that was expanding. Or shrinking.

"Oh, come on, you love plays and movies." We both walked to the principal's office for our schedules. For as long as I knew her, she wanted to be the next leading lady on the screen.

"True, but it's so much work."

"I thought you wanted to be an actress."

"Yeah, if they discover me on TikTok when one of my videos goes viral."

"Susie, you want to be legendary. Not trendy. Think Kate Winslet, Salma Hayek. Viola Davis."

"You raise some great points. Picture it: the academy for best actress goes to: Susie!" She opened her hands, gesturing around us like a Marquee.

We approached the secretary's desk. Both of us greeted her, she smiled widely. I told her my full name, leaning on my ankle in wait as she shuffled through her folder, she handed me the sheet. Thanking her, I stepped aside for Susie. She did the same, I rested one of my elbows on the edge.

"Please don't relax on the desk," Mrs. Walker said in a stern tone to me.

"Oh. Sorry." I removed myself standing straight. Hearing the door open behind me, I puffed my cheeks swaying on my feet.

Susan tapped on my shoulder, nudging her head to the door so we could go. "What's your first period?"

She glanced at the thin paper, "Chemistry. What's yours?"

"English," I replied.

"Aww, we don't have first class together. Let me see the rest of your schedule." She swiped it from my hand, looking at both of them. "We have the same lunch time, oh and Algebra 3, fourth period!" She pointed.

"Yay!"

"Has Jamie called you?" She asked, handing me back the schedule.

"No, you?" I shook my head.

"I texted him, he didn't text me back." I pouted my mouth, hmm.

"Maybe he has jet lag and had to sleep in for the day," I simplified. Usually we would see him after the first period at the beginning of the year.

"Maybe. You wanna go over to his house after school?"

"Sure."

"See you fourth period," she waved, heading in the other direction.

"See ya," I waved back. Scanning the halls for the classroom number before the late bell rang. As I entered, students were already seated. The English teacher, Ms. Bloom asked for my name as she flipped in the folder of papers seated on her desk.

"Rachel Thompson," I answered, handing her my schedule.

"Your seat is right there." She pointed behind me handing me back the sheet. In the middle row, great seating arrangements. I weaved through and removed my backpack before sitting down, placing it near my feet on the ground.

The door opened, Andrew entered and met the teacher. I rolled my eyes, sliding my back on the chair. Please don't let him sit near me. Please don't let him sit near me. Is the arrangement alphabetical by first name or last name? She pointed to the area where I was. "Oh great," I mumbled.

His body plopped into the seat, I skidded my desk a bit from the closeness. Taking a peek, he grinned and rested his arms, "just like old times." I ran my hand through my hair. This is gonna be a long day.