Chapter twelve: Andrew

I held in my chuckle, isn't she a sight for sore eyes? I removed my arms off my neck and sat up straighter in my seat.

"Class, welcome to the first day. For any new students this year, I'm Ms. Bloom, your English teacher for the semester." Ms. Bloom stood up from her chair, brushed down her long flowing pink skirt with her hands.

We all muttered a greeting to her. She sat on the front of her desk and crossed her legs. "Instead of doing classwork, let's get to know each other today. Name, likes, dislikes. We'll go around the room and introduce ourselves and what you did this summer. Goals. Plans for university. I'll start: This is my third-year teaching 11th grade English. My first name is Janice. I love reading poetry, baked goods. Calligraphy, Hulu and Netflix binge watcher. I am certified in CPR and a part time piano player.

"Let's begin in the front row. What's your name?" She pointed to the first student in the first row.

He stood and introduced himself as Walter. Black curly hair and brown skin, he smiled with a big grin. He's originally from DC, moved here ten years ago. "I like burritos and comic books, and hate the smell of lavender. I'm also a Netflix and Chill kind of guy." The sounds of snickers chuckling came from the class, I stifled mine behind my palm. "Not like that, I'm usually by myself," he said bluntly. More laughs became louder, some were banging their fists on the desks. Priceless, my gut hurts.

"Ok, settle down! Let Walter finish," Ms. Bloom said, shushing the class.

"Thank you. Over the summer, I worked with my dad part time at his office, learned a lot about merchandise and marketing. I'm thinking of majoring in communications or political science. That's it."

"Thank you for your introduction, Walter," Ms. Bloom smiled. She pointed to the rest of my classmates' seat by seat. Even me, I'm soaking in the information. Like Lana, the tall girl with shoulder length hair, was a fan of Anime and her goal was to study physical education. Kevin was obsessed with computers and ice cream flavor mixes. Apryl had a knack for quilting and makeup tutorials.

As the introductions continued, she finally pointed to me. I stood and said, "hi, I'm Andrew Strong. I'm a transfer from California. I like surfing, basketball, lacrosse, and baseball. Television. I really don't dislike a lot of things. Except for moving around. I like keeping in touch with people, making friends. Over the summer, I hung out with my younger sister most of the time.

"I love graphic design and computer science. Hoping to change the world with the next innovative video game or app or something." I sat down when I finished. I didn't really pour my heart out but it's the gist of things.

"Welcome, Andrew. I hope you enjoy what Pennsylvania has to offer," Ms. Bloom spoke with a sweet smile. "Now, what about you? Rachel, right?"

"Yes. Hi." Rachel stood and waved to the class, smiling widely, she pulled down the hem of her shirt.

"Um. Last name Thompson. Longtime resident. One of my favorite things is... nature. Our mother earth. Books and graphic novels. And food. " She giggled, I shook my head amused. Who didn't like food? "Dislikes? Being interrupted in my sleep." Her tone went a bit low, taking a peek at me. "Nails on a chalkboard. Ugh. The smell of grass makes me want to vomit. The only downside of nature. I want to study Biology. And business.

"Over the summer I mostly read, watched television and babysat the neighbor's kid. Made some money. Took some knitting lessons. That's it. " Slowly, she sat down at her desk, straightening her posture.

"That's amazing, Rachel." As the class introductions were reaching an end, Ms. Bloom told us our first assignment for the week: a one page essay on expectations.

"It's due this Friday. At the end of the year, we're going to revisit what we have learned and gained. For the rest of the class, all of you can now know more of one another. Group or partner up, introduce yourselves. Let's spread more kindness." Ms. Bloom clapped once. Desks began to move, some classmates stood to meet others, I scooted my desk next to Rachel. She turned over her shoulder, I smiled warmly at her. She huffed and shook her head.

"The little dig of disturbed sleep was pointed to me, wasn't it?" I asked.

"It's in general. But if you think so, apology accepted," she replied.

I chuckled. Rachel growled, sounding like Marge from The Simpsons.

I scooted with my desk a bit more and bumped her shoulders. She rolled her eyes, trying to hide a smile. "How long is this gonna take?"

"It won't take too long until we converse."

"We don't have to talk," she responded.

"We should, it's been too long." I leaned on my elbows.

"It has. But I don't think-"

"Hello fellow classmates." Another voice came interrupting us, we both turned to the source. "Daniel," he said, thrusting his hand forward to me.

"Andrew," he said, meeting his hand for a shake.

"I see you're getting acquainted with our Rachel."

"As much as needed, Danny," Rachel said in a dull tone.

"I'm getting there," I answered, "we're neighbors. Old neighbors, too.."

"Oh, wow." Daniel nodded. Rachel didn't speak as she hunched her shoulders up.

"Ok, changing the subject. Uh, any other hobbies you two didn't say?" Rachel asked.

"What are your hobbies, Rachel?" I asked, leaning forward on my desk.

"I like to write," she told me.

"Anything original?"

"A few, but not a lot." She sighed.

"She writes Gossip Girl and 1D fanfics online." Her jaw dropped at what Danny said, she closed it quickly.

"Gossip Girl, huh?" I questioned raising an eyebrow. I think I've seen it on TV, remembering the hot blonde with long legs talking to her brunette in front of their school.

"I didn't like the series finale, OK? I've been reading the book series over and over." She laid her chin on the desk.

"There's a book series?"

"You should check it out, it's really good. Her fic, I mean. And the original. If you want," he suggested.

"And 1D?" What the hell was that?

"One Direction."

"Rachel, One direction?" I curled an eyebrow.

"So what? It's for fun, I like the music and they're cute," she shrugged.

"You know, I need the link to it," I said to Danny.

"Please, no. It's messy. The grammar is awful," she protested.

"You share it online. It's good stuff."

"I love reading your comments, Danny."

"I'm your number one fan."

"I might delete it, anyway.." Rachel stood from her desk, heading to the end of the classroom to throw something away in the trash.

"I'll write down the link," Danny whispered to me.

"Thanks," I replied.