Chapter 35

I entered the unlocked house, Toni by my side

"We shouldn't be doing this, this could be tampering with evidence,"

"They already swept the place and the police tape's not up anymore. We'll be fine," I said and began to walk around. I knew they took Wyatt to the pound, and I was going to pick him up after I did my own investigating. I entered the area, looking around cautiously. The place was imaculate for a bachelor pad. The wooden floors shined, the white walls without a mark on them.

"Come on. There's got to be something here telling us where he went, " I said while searching through the book case to right of the room, next to a dog bed. 

"Wait, we can't just rummage around here without gloves," she said as she went through her purse.

"You just have rubber gloves sitting in your purse?"

"I'm a hands on DA, I'm on call just like everyone else," she says as she slips them on and I do the same.

Toni soon joined me in looking through every book on that shelf. We flipped through pages and pages, finding nothing. I moved my way to bedroom. It was meticulous there as well. The bed made neatly, hardly a crinkle. I looked through his bedside drawers, clothing drawers, closet, every where I could look. My irritation began to grow. I took a breath. I trashed the room, the one place I didn't look, was under the bed. I bent down, peaking under, and to my luck found a box. It was a large card board shoe box, the size that would fit a pair of boots. I pulled the black lid and found rummaged among the contents. A necklace, bracelet, a pair of prescription glasses, and other things.

"Find anything?" I heard Toni ask from behind me.

"I think so. I found this box," I say. She kneels down besides me, the fresh scent of rose and honey in her perfume invading my space delightfully. She looked among the items, then I saw the lightbulb went off in her head.

"What is it?" I ask. 

"The ME said that there was an imprint of a necklace on our latest victim. She sent me a picture...," she pulled out her phone and looked through her photos. She then enlarged the image to show only the poor woman's marked neck.

"The chain link is exactly the same....this is our vic's necklace,"

"Then the rest of this has to be the other victims' things that he took,"

"Janet thought he was the souvenir type. Anything else?" I looked through the box again, to find a black book face down. I picked it up and turned it over, the words "Death Note" scratched into it's surface.

"What the fuck?" I say with confusion written all over my face. I open to the first page.

"Jacob Stornem,"

"That was the first victim" Toni said, as she looked over my shoulder.

"He goes on his night shift on 26th and Park, and is then kidnapped and beaten. The captor only kills him if he has no children. Cops with children are not like the retched bastard Maxwell. He slices him up until he is covered in blood and is left to bleed out slowly, far too late for anyone to save him,"