Chapter 9: Busted

After the crime scene was cleared, my family and I headed to the police station, where we had to explain everything to the cops. While Uncle Seth and Dad filled in the details about what happened at the karaoke restaurant, I told the cops my version of the story.

After the explosion, I headed over to the bank and found the burnt Ferrari, sitting idly in the center of the black concrete. Within minutes, I heard a loud cry for help then chased after it. But as it turns out, it was the thief.

Blood was pouring all over his face like it was some kind of gasoline. Two huge pieces of glass sank into his arms, but his sunglasses stayed on. I didn't want to go near the car or even look at the man whose face is damaged from the fire.

Much to my surprise, I noticed the trunk of the car was halfway open. Discreetly, I came over to the trunk and found the box that the burglar had stolen. Although the fire has taken over the car, the wooden box remained undamaged.

I checked to make sure no one was watching then lifted the box out of the trunk. Later, I took careful steps away from the burning car and examined the box. It had ancient Mandrin symbols carved on the light brown surface with a vicious demon spirit on the lid.

The monster reminded me of an old tale Mom told me when I was little. It had wide eyes, a pig nose, and huge horns. This is some sort of an ogre. I think. Setting the box down, I got out my lockpicking kit, pulled on my latex gloves, and tried to open it.

Figuring out what's inside the box is my main concern. I twisted the long silver pieces inside the hole until I heard something that sounded like a door opening.

I put my lockpicking items back inside my bag then peered inside. To be honest, I thought it would be an empty treasure chest, but I was wrong. Inside the chest was at least two million dollars. Each of the cash were stacked and tied with a rubber band.

So, this is what that the box is for, I thought. As much as I wanted to take a closer look, I didn't want to leave fingerprints on the box, especially the dirty money. I reached into my phone and snapped photos of the box.

Next, I closed the box and placed it back into the trunk where I had left it. Last, but not least, I crouched over to the license plate took three pictures, and backed away from the crime scene.

Just when I was relieved that no one saw me, someone grabbed me by the arm. The stranger's grip is as tight as a pair of handcuffs. I glanced up to see a stern police officer. After I finished my story, my parents  let out a long sigh then glanced at the officer.

"Can they be released from jail?" Mom asked. "I had already paid the bail and in addition, they told you what happened." The officer scribbled his pencil on his notepad then nodded.

"Your stories does seem accurate," he replied under his breath. "I guess you three are free to go." But that's when the officer gazed at me from his notepad. "I hope you learn your lesson, going to a crime scene is very dangerous."

I can see that, I wanted to say, but I feared that my retort can lead me to jail. "Anyways," Mom exclaimed, taking me by the hand. "We all should be going home." Uncle Seth and Dad thanked the officer then followed us out of the police station.

On the long way home, Mom became silent as we hopped out of the car. Uncle Seth trudged after my heels while Dad kept asking Mom if she was okay. "I am doing fine," she would say, but deep down inside we all knew that she is angry at us.

Because by the time we got inside, Mom greeted Dad's eyes then slapped him across the face. I watched in horror as the huge red hand appeared on his left cheek. I bit my lip while Uncle Seth let out a low chuckle.

All of a sudden, Mom did the same to Uncle Seth. "Ow!" he cried, rubbing his left cheek. "What the heck is going on?" She only crossed her arms then eyed them coldly. "Exactly," she said finally. "What the heck is going on?"

Mom gave Dad a cold look. "You were supposed to look after Seth!" she screamed. "But apparently, you idiots created a fiasco in a karaoke bar!" Her dark brown eyes meet Uncle Seth's. "You were supposed to be  a mature adult!" she cried.

"Instead of flirting with girls and drinking, like some Fraternity guy!" Uncle Seth and Dad nodded as if they were being punished. And finally, Mom gave me a reprimanding look. "Cleo," she began softly. "What were you thinking?"

I swallowed hard then glanced at her. "I thought you were in danger," I explained. "I wanted to see if you are okay-" "By deliberately disobeying your mother's command?" Mom interrupted. "You decided it was okay to abandoned your best friend like that?"

I thought about Paige then felt incredibly guilty. She must have been angry at me, I thought miserably.  "I'm sorry, Mom." I sighed. In return, she gave me a sad smile. "It's fine," she insisted. "But unless you can make Paige and her mother forgive you too, you are officially off the case."

I accepted her decision without complaining. "That means no taser, no pepper spray, and no knapsack." Mom added, looking at my bag. Sighing, I removed my mini backpack then gave it to her without question.

Uncle Seth and Dad watched as Mom gently tugged the strap close to her chest then sent me off to bed. But as I made my way up the steps, I could hear Uncle Seth rubbing his bruised cheek. "We're sorry for the trouble we caused." Dad sighed. In response, I watched Mom touching his sore cheek and patiently kissed his mouth.

Uncle Seth groaned in disgust. After they parted, I walked up to my room, changed into my pajamas, and went to sleep.