Chapter Two

The next day Dean was at work, serving drinks as he always did, but he was moving kind of slow this time. A rarity for him. He had had a bad night. He'd spent the whole night tossing and turning, thinking of Cas and what Sam had said about how he had a family now and couldn't bother with Cas anymore. He knew that's probably what he should do, but some how he just couldn't stop himself from thinking about him. It was to the point he couldn't focus on work. A few times he went to put ice in a glass, he missed, or spilled the liquor. He pushed through till the end of his shift, which was well over noon, and started to clean up for his relief. The door chimed and he glanced up from cleaning, thinking it was his relief.

It was Cas.

"Cas." Dean said not realizing he said it out loud.
His heart started pounding in his chest. The instant his eyes fell on him, the familiar feeling of butterflies swirled around in his stomach. Cas approached him slowly, with a serious expression on his face.

"I thought you might be here."

Dean gave no impression of how he was actually feeling inside. "Well yes. I work here." He replied jokingly. "Didn't you drink enough already? Or you just wanna see me?"

"Actually I was hungry." Cas said as he sat at the bar counter.

"Oh." Dean gave him a small smile. "Well. I'm getting off here as soon as my relief shows up. Why don't we go out and catch a bite to eat. I'm starving too and the food here isn't all that great."

"Okay. I'll wait." Cas told him. And he did.

Fifteen minutes later they walked into an off the wall hamburger joint. It was raining hard, and dean shook his head like a dog to get the water off his face. Cas watched him and gave a soft chuckle. "What are you doing?"

Dean shrugged and smiled at him. "Water was cold."

Cas shook his head quietly laughing, and they were seated in the back at a booth. They were asked what they wanted to drink and Cas just ordered a water and Dean a beer, which was brought to them in less then a minute. Dean took a sip of the beer as Cas watched him lift it to his lips. He frowned at Dean, there was something so familiar about the way the beer bottle pressed against his lips and he turned his head at the same time to look at someone coming in the front door as it chimed. It was strange but he knew Dean was afraid of having his back turned to the door. He didn't know how he knew that but he did. His case of deja vu got worse when he knew exactly what Dean was gonna order right before he ordered it. He ordered a burger and fries, and Cas stared hard at Dean as he handed the menu back to the waiter and he looked at Cas and smiled at him. "What?" He asked him.

"Nothing." Cas said and shook his head and took a sip of his water.

Dean leaned forward. "So how's your step daughter?"

"She's good. She's living with Jennifer's mom for the weekend. I still can't believe what happened. I'm still not over it."

Dean's eyes became sad with sympathy for Cas. "Yeah. I understand. I'm so sorry."

"It's okay. I'm still trying to understand it all. And a lot of other things that have been happening to me lately."

"Like what?" Dean asked curiously.

"I...I don't wanna talk about it. It's weird and I'm trying to not think about it."

Dean nodded as their food was sat in front them. "Fair enough." Dean said as he picked up a fry and put it in his mouth.