ɎChapter♠TwentySixɎ

Elias' body ached with every movement. Gaspar had left him alone in the medical quarters a few moments ago, and Elias found himself dreading his future. The unknown of whether he'll die by Gaspar's hand, her pirate's hands, or the Queen's hand, left him in a never ending whirlpool of doubt.

Gaspar, especially, left his thoughts fuzzy and confused. In the time that he'd spent with her, he'd noticed the enigma that she is. Cautious though wild and bloody insane. She was cruel and generous in the same moments, not letting anyone tell her what she should do or what she wants. If she was anyone but who she was, he wouldn't doubt he'd be able to love her in a different life.

Just now, when she spoke to him he found himself entranced by her words. "I believe we're both quite foolish in this department, aren't we Mr. Keen?" The smile on her face both sad and amused was engraved in his mind.

He shifted in the bed, feeling the bandage around his torso tighten with movement and rub against his skin. She'd gotten so close to him whilst wrapping him up. Her full, red lips were so close, he couldn't look away. His hands clenched at his sides in an effort to keep from either pulling her closer or pushing her away. He didn't know which one he was more likely to do and that was what scared him the most.

He'd been thankful for the restraints at that moment.

One thing Gaspar had been right about, Elias couldn't deny the attraction he felt for her. It was absurd, honestly. The criminal he'd been chasing since he was 17, he'd wanted to kiss more than any other woman he'd ever met. It was an ironic story, a humorous path God must be enjoying. He scowled at the ceiling.

The lamps that hung to the wood swung back and forth softly with the rocking of the ship. Years of sailing in open water had prepared him for sea-sickness, though when he was a boy the smallest tilt would send his stomach churning. Now though, not even the strongest storms would make him bring back his meal. A small achievement Elias held dear.

The door opened and the small boy from before entered the room. He'd saved Elias, he knew, but he still resented the boy from keeping him from entering the sweet relief of darkness and calling the devilish Captain to his aid.

His blonde hair stuck to his forehead, dirty and greasy. Not even a stubble graced his smooth chin, and barely a muscle could be found on his arms. But the boy tried his best to look intimidating. With his chest puffed out, a bandana around his neck, a shirt with ripped sleeves and a tattoo of a treasure chest on his shoulder, he looked to be around 14 years old.

"What do you want, boy?" He asked, scanning him from head to toe.

"The Captain has ordered me to stay by your side and clean up after you, as well as teaching you what to do on this ship." He said, voice steady and strong, trying hard to look like the pirates on the crew. Though Elias could tell the boy spoke like those from England, with a clean accent instead of what the pirates had.

"I'm a Rear Admiral, boy. I know everything about a ship."

"Not this ship." He said surely. "But for today, I'm only supposed to introduce myself." So with a quick thrust, the boy's hands took Elias' restrained one into a handshake that had his wrist aching with the movement. "Name's Sammy. I'm 12 years old, and bus boy on the ship. I'll be back tomorrow to take care of your bandages."

"Why not the doctor?"

"He's got better things to do than treating an English prisoner." Sammy spit out the word with a glare. Without another word, the boy left Elias alone once more.