10|Uncertainty and Apologies

Daniel left their apartment early the following morning, before Faith was even up

Daniel left their apartment early the following morning, before Faith was even up. She woke up to the silence in the room, but the hurling of traffic outside which indicated that people were up and ready to start their day.

     After her breakdown with Kaylyn the previous night — Kaylyn trying to calm her down while faith was just babbling nonstop and crying — they agreed to meet at Faith's house to discuss things.

Feeling drained and at a loss, Faith dragged herself to the kitchen where she poured herself some orange juice. The glass paused midair to her mouth when she spotted the vodka bottle on the counter along with her wedding ring beside it. Losing her appetite for the beverage, she placed it down and meekly reached for the silver metal with shaky hands.

The words she had said to Daniel came rushing back full force, leaving Faith saddened and thinking she might have possibly ruined things for everyone. She had snapped — said things that she would never thought of saying under any other circumstances. She rubbed her temple to ease it of the tension that was slowly building in her head, sniffing once more when her eyes watered.

She picked up the phone and she dialed her mother's number, wanting someone to talk to in that very instant because being alone — being alone with her thoughts, especially — left her open to too many things she'd rather not think about.

But just as she was about to send out the call, she put the phone down, suddenly not wanting her mother's opinion in the matter. She would definitely blow things out of proportion. Faith sighed, she paced the room unendingly, nibbling at her nails with the phone clutched in her hand.

She opted to call Daniel, to find out where he was, to apologize even, but she didn't do any of that because she feared doing so might cause more harm than good. The phone buzzed in her hand and Faith basically jumped, the phone almost falling from her hands with the fright that the vibration brought.

     She paused and swiped the screen to see that it was a text message from Jason, asking how she was and if she was ready for Lily's procedure tomorrow.
    Raking her fingers through her hair, Faith threw the phone on the sofa, thinking that the last thing she needed was to be reminded of Jason. Jason who have been her friends for years, yet suddenly, she felt awkward when he hugged or slightly touched her. Faith knew in herself that such a thing had never happened before and so she questioned her feelings for her best friend.

    She wanted to laugh at the ludicrousness of her thoughts and she wanted to cry because it felt too real to just be shrugged off and cast aside.

Faith muttered a loud curse at her confliction and confusion. Maybe it was just a case of typical cold feet, she thought. Maybe she was just too nervous about the whole surrogacy process. That had to be it.

      "Faith?" A voice came, causing Faith to immediately dash to open the door.

Kaylyn presented herself on the other side, concern evident on her face.