Chapter 4: The First Job

"Why is it that when one man builds a wall, the next man immediately needs to know what's on the other side?

- Tyrion Lannister,
A Song of Fire and Ice #1 by George R.R Martin

***

"Come in," Clay commanded her as they step their foot on the doorstep of his house. He opened the door widely for her to come in but she didn't move. She just stared at his house with her eyes full of astonishment. "Don't you want to come inside?"

She averted her gaze to him, eyes were still widely opened. "Is this really your house?" she curiously asked and he nodded. "Oh come on, dude. Don't joke around. It's not funny."

"Well, this is really my house. Do I look like a bum on you? With this face?" He pointed his face using his index finger. "Seriously, woman? Are you blind?"

She clasped her hands to her mouth, trying not to drop her jaws. Before he could say something, she was already running inside his house like a child who was running happily around the playground.

"Wow! Are you alone here?" she asked, looking so amaze on how big his house was.

"Are you seeing someone here beside me?" he asked grumpily, very reluctant to answer her question.

"Well, this is too big for one person, if you are really alone here. I'm sure you're happy that you are no longer alone here because of me." She looked at him and gave him an endearing smile. "You should be thankful that I'm now here."

He looked away. "I'm more happy when I'm alone but..." He sneered. "I guess, I should be really thankful that you are here. Finally, there will be someone that I can rely on when it comes to my daily house chores. Thank God, I'm no longer responsible with those tiresome work!" he added as he sat on one of the couches in the living room and comportably laid his head on its backrest.

Emily's smile faded when she realized their deal a while ago. At first, she thought he was just making fun of her but she didn't know that he was really serious.

She walked in front of him, who was still looking at the ceiling with his eyes close. She held her breath first before she kicked his legs, strong enough for him to open his eyes.

"Hey, what was that for?" he yelped with his eyes half close.

"I just want to clarify something." She gave him a stern look. "Are you really serious about that deal?"

He quickly nodded. "Permitting someone to stay here freely isn't part of my vocabulary. That's why I need to get something from you in exchange of my permission." He gave her a lopsided smile before he continued, "Why? Did you expect something? Like you can live here like a princess?" He shook his head. "I know you can compare this house to a castle and I'm really sorry to disappoint you but princesses are not allowed here. Only a prince like me can live here."

"Well, I'm just trying to clarify things and for your information, I don't expect something here. Expecting something bigger than this isn't part of my vocabulary or even my dictionary," she taunted. "And besides, I don't see any lineament that this house is like a castle. All I could sense here is the loneliness of this place. And aside from that, I don't see any prince here. A dragon, maybe."

She restrained herself from laughing when she saw his expression. His face turned red and his nose looked like it was going to blow a fire. It suits him well. Very dragon-ish.