Help

My mind is racing, Is this boy that I am sitting next to really that man's son, The drunk man that was chasing after him? I look over at him he meets eyes with mine, his deep brown eyes are staring into mine there full of fear and a look of help scribbled all over his face. 

" I swear If you don't come out from where you are hiding then you're in for it when you get home. you can hide but you gotta eat eventually." the man yells.

The boy slowly starts to slide out of the tree. I grab the back if his overalls but he turns and I loosen my grip. He gets out of the tree and stands there "Come here boy." he says while making an evil grin I watch in horror as he slowly walks over to his dad.

 His dad swings his hand up and cuffs him in the left ear, and proceeds to do the same to the Right and then left again. There is blood running out of his left ear. "What did I tell you about leaving the house!" the boy doesn't answer "Hugh what did I say!" he says as he cuffs him again.

the kid has his hand over his ear and tears are streaming down his cheeks. The man Gives his kid no older than me a shove, "go home! you've really crossed the line now... you're in for it now James Buchanan!" 

Before he starts walking away he turns to me and mouths the words Come back tomorrow and that earns him another shove from his dad. Then just like that, the boy starts walking home while his dad has a tight grip on the back of his collared shirt under the overalls.

I don't know what I do about it all I can think to get home and tell my dad about what I just witnessed after all he is a police officer.