Godric's Hollow

Chapter 29

Godric's Hollow

Muggle transportation was always crowded, especially during the summer. It was, however, necessary to keep up appearances around Privet Drive. The neighbors might seriously start to question things if I never left the house for supplies. So I made it a point to be seen occasionally.

I was halfway down Privet Drive, with shopping bags in hand, when the faint hum of music hit my ears. Some idiot was playing their music too loud. It was with a slow horror that I realized the music was coming from my house.

"Good Godric, what..."

"Miss Porter," a very shrill voice called over my shoulder.

Great! Petunia Dursley. She was the last person I needed to confront me about the horrible, freakish noise emanating from my house. There were two ways I could play this. I could show my mortification, apologize profusely, and hope to earn her sympathy, but Petunia's never been one to be very sympathetic unless it concerned her precious Diddykins. Or, I could act ignorant and pretend I couldn't hear the music at all; the neighborhood didn't think me half mad for nothing.

"Petunia!" I said sweetly as I turned to face her with a large smile. She met me with a scowl pulled over her horse-like teeth and arms folded over her chest. I looked up at the sky dreamily.

"It's a beautiful day, isn't it?"

"One can hardly notice with all that...that noise," her nose pinched in disgust, "coming from your house."

I furrowed my brow a little and tilted my head to the side.

"Noise?" I asked.

"That..." She paused. "Don't tell me you don't hear it! It's a monstrosity!"

I pretended to take a moment to listen. The thump-thump of the drum and the screeching guitar from my house I ignored, and instead I focused on the more distant sounds.

"Oh yes, I hear it now. There's a lark singing a street over, how lovely."

"A lark! Why I..." She huffed indignantly and stormed back inside her own house.

I smiled at her retreating back until she disappeared. Then I turned to face my own house. The loud thumping and screeching had transitioned into something more mellow. I walked in to find my collection of old records scattered over the floor. Sirius was doing his best Freddie Mercury impression. Remus was off the side laughing lightly and shaking his head. Harry was enjoying the show, and Jonathan was trying to not look entertained. I pulled out my wand and aimed it at the record player; it was silenced instantly and four pair of eyes turned my way.

"Three...hours," I said slowly. "I was gone for three hours, and you've turned the whole neighborhood against me."

Sirius only grinned and slowly walked my way singing.

"Too late, my time has come...sends shivers down my spine, body achin' all the time..."

"Do you have any idea how long it took me to establish a respectable image around here?"

"Goodbye everybody, I've got to go...gotta leave you all behind and face the truth..."

"Do you know how many accusatory looks I had to suffer for being a single, un-wed mother at my age?"