A Thing of the Past

Chapter 30

A Thing of the Past

21 August 1994

I waited a moment after apparating with Sirius to drop the disillusionment charm. We stepped out of the woods together and headed for the lone cottage.

"Well, it's certainly secluded," Sirius said. "I don't imagine he disturbs the neighbors much."

"I don't know. Why don't you change and ask the birds," I replied.

Nearly six weeks had passed since our family outing to Godric's Hollow. Harry came by the house frequently after that; I suspect it was mostly because Sirius was staying with me and not because Harry had forgiven me entirely. Harry had asked one night at dinner if it was safe for Sirius to stay with me; he was worried that the Ministry would know of our history. But I explained that, to the Ministry, Kate Potter was dead, missing, or living on an island in the South Pacific. So many people went missing during the war and their fates were never discovered; Kate was among them. Since Katherine Porter, had no ties to Sirius Black, there was no reason for the Ministry to come knocking on my door.

After the last full moon, Jonathan had returned to Remus' and spent his birthday there. While he was gone, Molly and Arthur had sent me an owl containing two tickets to the Quidditch World Cup. I'm not sure how they managed to do it, but I knew it would be an insult to turn them down. So, Sirius and I had apparated to Remus' cottage to pick up Jonathan. I would take him to the Burrow for the cup, and then afterwards he would remain with the Weasleys while I returned to the castle.

We had just reached the front steps when the door suddenly opened. A much older version of Jonathan walked out and I was momentarily stunned. If Sirius was surprised, he didn't show it. He simply smiled and greeted the old wizard with ease.

"Lyall! It's been too long. Where have you been?"

"Well, I haven't been in Azkaban like some," Lyall Lupin, Remus's dad and Jonathan's only living grandparent replied dryly. Then his lips quirked into a trademark Lupin smirk, and he shook hands with Sirius. Then he turned to look at me again.

"Who's your friend?" he asked Sirius.

"What? Oh!" Sirius exclaimed. "That's Kate."

"Kate?" Lyall's kind features hardened quickly and snapped me out of my daze.

"It's Katherine now, actually. Remus has told you, I'm sure."

"Yeah... He knew not to keep something like that from his father."

Lyall's voice was laced with so much bitterness, Sirius detected it and he did as he always used to do when he felt I wasn't being treated fairly. He took a step forward and half shielded my body.

"Now, Lyall..." Sirius began, but I cut him off with a hand on his shoulder.

"Do you mean to say you have more curses you wish to unleash upon me? I would have thought your three page letter would have said it all," I said.

"Oh that was the edited version. The original draft was twice that."

"What's this about a letter?" Sirius asked.

"Forget about it, Sirius. It doesn't matter," I said.

"Doesn't matter?" Lyall said angrily. "Are you saying I don't matter?"